Aloha: PCM ECU questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Aloha, my mechanic feels my issues are coming from my original PCM ECU. Since I've own this 07 4.0, 2015, it's never been in a dealership. So, it's never been updated.

Question: should I get a refurbished PCM and if so who would you recommend?

Or for $220 at a local dealership, they will reprogram my original PCM?

FYI my mechanic, former Ford mech, has gone through my wire harness, oxygen sensors and their connectors. The harness is in very good shape, nothing melted, connectors are dry, O2 sensors working properly.

Thank you for any and all advice. Mahalo!

What issues are you having?
Aloha Nick, the same check engine light codes come on, mostly in regard to the O2 sensors. My mechanic checked all the sensors and their heaters, working fine. Truck will run well for a bit, then I hear some noises especially at lower rpm's and the check engine light will come on. Hasn't done it in a week but I've limited driving it. Was thinking it could be the PCM ECU. But possibly my mechanic can open up some time to trace out the wiring/harness. It physically looks very good, no melted areas, nothing looks wet. But I wonder if after 16yrs and 175k that heat and elements may have caused a short?

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you very much. Mahalo!

That's seems to be a common problem with these PCMs. Are you having any drivability issues or just the CEL? What I find is the ground circuit starts to fail in the PCM. Do you know the codes?

On a side note. Be very careful with people who PM you about someone who has a good used PCM for sale. I made one post looking for a PCM and I had a few scamer assholes send be emails to contact outside of this forum.

BE CAREFUL.

That's seems to be a common problem with these PCMs. Are you having any drivability issues or just the CEL? What I find is the ground circuit starts to fail in the PCM. Do you know the codes?

On a side note. Be very careful with people who PM you about someone who has a good used PCM for sale. I made one post looking for a PCM and I had a few scamer assholes send be emails to contact outside of this forum.

BE CAREFUL.
Aloha Nick,

Here are the main codes that come up: PO135, 141, 155, 161 and 443.

Sometimes the first 4 only. Usually the vehicle runs fine. A few times at low rpm's it sputtered a bit. A couple of times the "Check Charging System" came on. That was strange as I had a brand new Denso alternator installed a few months ago. My mechanic with his tester showed me that the charging system is just fine, doing it's job.

Is there a way to repair the ground circuits or does one need to find a good "remanufactured" PCM?

Thank you for your help. Mahalo!

Those are very common codes. If you checked the wire schematic, I would guess they all share a common ground circuit at the PCM. I had a customers 2010 Explorer Limited 4.0 with similar codes. Going with the flowchart, check replace sensors as needed. Check, repair, replace engine harness. Time and money. Nothing worked. Got a used PCM with the same box codes and reflashed it. Problem solved.

My own 2010 Sport Trac 4.6 AWD LIMITED, almost the same codes as you. I had to replace my PCM. Before I installed it. I sprayed three codes of heat reflecting paint on it and added heat reflecting wrapping. I also added an extra ground from the PCM to the ground point. I feel the heat is causing the solder joints to fail on the PC board . I have a failed PCM off a Ford van that I am going to take apart and have a look.

Aloha
Those are very common codes. If you checked the wire schematic, I would guess they all share a common ground circuit at the PCM. I had a customers 2010 Explorer Limited 4.0 with similar codes. Going with the flowchart, check replace sensors as needed. Check, repair, replace engine harness. Time and money. Nothing worked. Got a used PCM with the same box codes and reflashed it. Problem solved.

My own 2010 Sport Trac 4.6 AWD LIMITED, almost the same codes as you. I had to replace my PCM. Before I installed it. I sprayed three codes of heat reflecting paint on it and added heat reflecting wrapping. I also added an extra ground from the PCM to the ground point. I feel the heat is causing the solder joints to fail on the PC board . I have a failed PCM off a Ford van that I am going to take apart and h

My own 2010 Sport Trac 4.6 AWD LIMITED, almost the same codes as you. I had to replace my PCM. Before I installed it. I sprayed three codes of heat reflecting paint on it and added heat reflecting wrapping. I also added an extra ground from the PCM to the ground point. I feel the heat is causing the solder joints to fail on the PC board . I have a failed PCM off a Ford van that I am going to take apart and have a look.
Aloha Nick thank you for this information!

Is it worth it to get a remanufactured PCM that has been reflashed with a lifetime warranty?

I found a company in Florida, they say they also give you instructions how to reprogram my keys so my vehicle starts. That's also a concern, plugging in a new PCM and not starting up.

I also hear you about the heat! That's when the issues really show up! Did you just tap the PCM case, add in a "ground" leg/conductor to say the engine chassis?

Sorry for all the questions. Look forward to you advice about a remanufactured PCM. Mahalo!

We send a few PCMs and BCMs out for repair over the years. Sometimes it worked out great, sometimes not so good. I think you would be better if you have your PCM repaired.

We send a few PCMs and BCMs out for repair over the years. Sometimes it worked out great, sometimes not so good. I think you would be better if you have your PCM repaired.
Aloha Nick,

I will try to find a good used PCM that is an exact match as mine, numbers.

Question: a local Ford dealership service told me to reflash my original PCM they'd charge $220.

I wonder if I found the spare PCM and brought it to them if they'd reflash it and install it?

I've never taken out a PCM then reinstalled it. I heard these Ford's can be a little tricky with their PATS system.

Or would it be better to take the used PCM somewhere else to be flashed but let Ford install it?

Thank you again. Mahalo!

What year truck do you have?

It is very easy to do the installation. The problem is that it will not start after. Even with the correct box code and calibration code, you still need the reflash. If Ford will install it and reflash it for $220.00, let them do it.

The main thing during a reflash is a good battery. Make sure yours is good. If you have a battery charger , use it. Try to have the battery fully charged before you bring it in for the reflash.

It is very easy to do the installation. The problem is that it will not start after. Even with the correct box code and calibration code, you still need the reflash. If Ford will install it and reflash it for $220.00, let them do it.

The main thing during a reflash is a good battery. Make sure yours is good. If you have a battery charger , use it. Try to have the battery fully charged before you bring it in for the reflash.
Aloha Nick,

I have a 2007 4.0L

I hope to find a good used PCM that matches my original, then I'll the Ford dealership flash it and install.

Thank you for the tip about charging my battery before going in to the dealership. Mahalo

www.fs1inc.com/oem-engine-computer-programmed-flashed-2007-ford-explorer-sport-6l2a-12a650-caa.html

Aloha Nick,

FYI this company was given to me by a parts person for a dealership in my area. He's been trying to help me and didn't want to be in the "middle" as they have to mark it up. Still it's $364.00

I hope I can find a good used one and have the dealership flash/install it. Mahalo

Update: I was able to find an exact used PCM from another 2007 Explorer. They are going to give me 90days warranty so I'll get into Ford as soon as the part arrives and they can flash it per my VIN and install.

Hope it works then I'll have my original one rebuilt and ready to go. Mahalo

That sounds great. Run an extra ground on after you get it back from the dealership.

I will send you a picture of how I did mine tomorrow.

That sounds great. Run an extra ground on after you get it back from the dealership.

Aloha Nick, got it! I was going to ask you about that! I give you vehicle folks credit because you're dealing with DC current, which has its issues. I mainly work with AC current in residential and commercial. I always want to be careful not to fry anything as well as not to get hit with current.

Look forward to seeing how you added in your addition ground and what I could use to insulate the PCM from the heat. Mahalo!

Aloha Nick, I received the used PCM and have an appointment with Ford next Friday to flash it and install, plus reprogram my keys.

If you have a picture of how you added additional grounding would be great. Thank you very much. Mahalo!

IMG_20231101_142826_MP.jpg
IMG_20231101_142815_MP.jpg
IMG_20231101_142807_MP.jpg

Aloha Nick! Thank you very much for the pictures! I see you were able to pick up a ground connection nearby. What gauge did you use, 14g, 12g? Thanks again! Mahalo! PS: nice paint job, assuming that's the type to help with heat dissipation.

Good day. I used 14 gauge wire. Also I use heat shield on the PCM. My thinking is that it gets a lot of heat from under the engine bay .

Good luck

Good day. I used 14 gauge wire. Also I use heat shield on the PCM. My thinking is that it gets a lot of heat from under the engine bay .

Good luck
Aloha Nick! Went in last Friday to a Ford service/dealership that would take my truck in and do the swap/flash/reprogram! Unfortunately the cost here in California is high, $220/hr or per item! Better than another one in my area that was $260/hr!

My mechanic, a former Ford master mech, said to me, it only takes 5 mins to pop out the PCM/ECU and 15-20 mins to flash the computer but sadly you will probably be hit with a minimum. So, to flash my new used PCM was $220.00. To physically take out and install my new used PCM was $220.00. On top of that, I only had one remote on me and they said I needed two for the programming, so that cost me another $75.00.

Here's the good news, in two hours I got back my vehicle and it was running well. Something I did not check was that both the new remote and the old remote worked. When I got home, my old remote did not work. The dealership contacted me and scheduled for a tech to drive out to me, over 30miles away. I located another original key that came with my vehicle when my father first purchased it. Well, that other original key proved important! When the tech came, I gave him all the keys, 3 total and the two remotes. That 3rd key was tied to my other PCM which also was tied into my original remote. By programming/cycling the 3rd key, it brought on the old remote and it held is programming along with the new remote. All 3 keys, one was made later by me all turn on the truck now! This service call by this Ford was free, talk about resolving an issue!

The Ford Tech said to me, that this is a more common problem than people know, the PCM ECU having issues. And instead of owners taking the time to do what you all helped me out with, troubleshooting, getting a good used PCM that was the same exact model/box in my truck and flashing it, they sell/scrap their vehicles. I also want to thank my local Ford parts supplier that was frustrated with his service people for not taking in my truck at $260/hr and working with me! He took my VIN number and checked it, told me what model number PCM I had so I could locate a used one.

So, I hope to locate a good rebuilder of these PCM's to have my original one repaired. I wasn't able to paint it with the paint but I hope to find a way to wrap the PCM in some type of heat shield/insulation. Next is to get the additional grounding attached! Mahalo!

Latest posts