Airbag light help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denis Bourque

Reaction score
I had a problem with my driver's side seat belt buckle (it would not detect the belt being buckled). After a few days of this prob my airbag light started flashing, so I disconneted the connector on my buckle and reconnected it. It seems to have fixed the buckle problem, but I still get an airbag flash (4 flash then 2).

Any ideas if this will go away (after certain amounts of on-off cycle), if clearing it with a battery dissconect will work etc. ?

Oh and it's an '04 auto in case it maters.

Thanks folks,

Denis

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recent front end damage?

Lamp Flash Code 42 Restraint System Impact Sensor Status (Front Impact Severity Sensor Circuit Fault)

The front impact severity sensor is located on the radiator core support next to the hood latch support bracket.

An impact sensor status fault can be caused by:

damaged wiring, terminals, or connectors.

a faulty impact sensor.

incorrect sensor mounting.

RCM is faulted.

I'll email you the section from the manual concerning this fault. Check the wiring and connectors. Further diagnosis may be best left to the dealer.

This is what it looks like. This one is the side sensor from my Mom's Escape but they all look alike. This one is broken. The connector end should be straight.

b61c501d4b44d9388ff2cccb8c3478a4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response ncranchero. No recent damage.....unless pot holes count :D

I'll take a quick peak to see if I can see anything obvious on or around that sensor. The funny thing is it seemed to have gone yesterday afternoon when I left home to run some errands and on my way back I started having the same flash again.:wacko: I hope the electrical gremlins are not invading.

Denis

I also have an 2004, and am having the same problem.

First the buckle problem, then the airbag light flashing. It would only start flashing, and then stay on after about 20 minutes of driving. After sometime now, the airbag light now stays on steady anytime while the truck is running.

I will give ncranchero suggestions a look.

With the key off. Loosen and retighten the mounting bolt on the sensor. The sensors are prone to a bad ground connection.

Found the front impact sensor, disconnected it, and cleaned up the ground contact (mounting bolt), which was a bit corroded. The wiring and connectors looked good. Also, disconnected and reconnected the battery. However, the airbag light is still on.

Are there any other sensors I should check?

Any idea how much a new front impact sensor costs?

I also have an 2004, and am having the same problem.

First the buckle problem, then the airbag light flashing. It would only start flashing, and then stay on after about 20 minutes of driving.

Is yours flashing the 42 code or something else? Turn switch on and count the flashes........

**** ** **** ** **** ** =42

Schomy..

Not total times it does it..

it will flash like 3 or 4 times..then pause..then 1 or 2 times..then pause..

give us the numbers before the two pauses..

Of course, stupid me :wacko:

Sorry.

Yes, it is flashing 42 then.

Thanx, I'm thinking I'm going to just try a new sensor. Once that is installed, I'm guessing I should just reset the system again by disconnecting the battery?

Me's thinks me's found the problem. :banana:I took the connector off of the sensor and found a nice green connection:eek:.

As always, thanks for the help! You guys rock!

Denis

Latest posts