air noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie Peters

Reaction score
we recently bought our second ST after selling the first one. We needed to upgrade to pull our camper over 14 k elevation mountains so wanted a V8 plus tow pkg.

The newer, 07, has a very loud low pitch road noise coming from rear of vehicle.

To me it sounds like a musical instrument but I am not the mechanic in the family.

The noise is startling & annoying

Any ideas?

:banghead:

I have a whistle like sound that comes from the frontish area. It sounds like a flutel. I did some research and read somewhere that it has to do with the drivers side mirror. Air getting into it like blowing into the top of a bottle. When I crack the window and change the air flow or turn on the wipers the sound will go away so I believe the information is correct. Then I have a whine at the back of the truck. This I also read is due to some dust covers on the rear axles or something.

I kind of care about these sounds till I figure them out then I kind of forget about them.

basically I have a full orchestra at times.

2007 as well.

My friend had a whistle on his 2003 Durango, took it in to Chrysler and they figured rearend, rebuilt it, noise was still there, after market roof racks, they didnt charge him for rebuild.:fire:

As for the comment that "They all do that....turn the radio up loader", that is not true. My 2001 Sport Trac and my current 2008 Adrenalin do not make any noise like that. It's the quietest vehicle I've ever owned. That is not normal.

Millie,

Weird noises can emanate from many places. Sometimes there are clues as to what it is. Would you say the noise gets louder with speed or changes pitch with speed. Does is get louder or change pitch with engine speed (test by dropping down a gear, or switch off overdrive while maintaining a constant speed)? You said it sounds like an instrument; does it have resonance? i.e., is it most pronounced at a certain speed?

I would start off with an inspection of the tires (front and rear). If they are wearing issues, (cupping is my first guess), they can beat the road like a drum, and that makes a noise similar to what you're describing. Ever driven next to someone and seen their wheel bouncing? A wheel out of balance is the best news for this, but it can be a symptom of bad shocks, bearings, bushings, ball joints, or even frame damage in order of increasing bad news.

If you don't see anything wrong with the tire wear, I would suggest a visit with your trusted mechanic. Since you say the noise is startling, I would bet they can put it up on a lift and find the cause for it pretty quickly.

Noises can be very difficult to diagnose without actually hearing the noise. What you describe as a low pitched noise, my be a growling or rumbling sound to someone else???

A low pitched noise would most likely be tires. If the tires have an aggressive tread they may be creating the low pitched noise you are hearing. It could also be the noise the tires make on certain road surfaces....it often has to do with harmonics. Check the noise on different road surface textures and see if it changes? Also, Tire inflation pressure can change the noise. If a tire is low on pressure it can cause more road noise

Rear differentials tend to make a higher pitched howling noise that changes with road speed and when you let off the gas pedal.

You could also check and see if your new ST has an aftermarket exhaust system. Some exhausts make a low droning noise at cruising speeds that can be very annoying on long drives?

...Rich

#1 The noise in the w/shield area is effected by wind direction, no wind no noise, with head wind or side wind noise like flute.

#2 the noise from the rear is excessive road noise that transfers into the rear passenger area. All seals look good, doors are aligned, there was a body plug missing on both sides at the lower rear of the cab, still has unacceptable road noise at the lower rear of both rear doors.

I think bugsiegel has hit on what I was thinking. It can be very loud & annoying. It also seems to hit when the wind is blowing & doesn't really matter which way it blows.

badgirl.

#1 problem may be due to the cracked plastic cowl that goes over where the windshield wipers attach. Look near where the wiper blade arm attaches to the rotor. We have discussed it here a few times. My '07 did the same thing as far as a side wind or head wind at speed. Just like you said. No wind, no noise. One method of repair is to take it out and superglue it back together and repaint. The other is replace it.

#2 may be a wheel bearing going bad or you may need new tires.

Good luck. let us know hat you find.

LouM...

Last edited by a moderator: