Air Force Questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Maguire

Reaction score
Hey everyone I finally got my accepted call from the Air Force after about 2 months of waiting. Long story short I had a medical issue that needed to be resolved and checked over by the medical team in Texas via a waiver. I go Monday the 26th to choose my job. does anyone have any advice or job preference for me? I really want a frontline position job preferably Aerial Gunner however having that past medical issue will cancel out almost or all flight jobs for me so I am mainly looking towards TACP or Combat Controller. I would love to hear from any past Vets of all branches really but any Air Force vets would be really helpful. Thank you everyone. I will read everything Sunday night and post another Off-Topic Message on Monday when I figure everything out and I will let everyone know. Thanks again.:supercool:

Kyle,

I was not in the Air Force....But I retired from the Army after 20 years.

Most employers look favorably on honorable military service regardless of what your job was, but I always recommend that young people going into the military try to get into a career field with a strong civilian market. That way when ever you decided to get out, you will have a marketable skill and some experience. Just be sure it's a career field that you are really interested in an passionate about because every job has some bad points that will be hard to get through if you don't really like the job

I was fortunate to be able to get in the emerging computer field and retired with 17 years experience and leadership skills that translated well into the civilian world. I retired from my civilian career with over 44 years experience.

Good luck,

....Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to what Richard said. Look at fields that are marketable and in demand in the civilian sector. Whether you serve just one enlistment or make it a 20+ year career, you won't be in the military forever and you'll need a good, marketable skill that will transfer to the civilian sector.

Also, get as much college as you can completed while you're in the service. They should pay for most of it through various programs. I retired from the USN after 20 years with a Bachelor's degree and the USN paid for most of it.:supercool:

have to agree with the previous comments as far as marketable skills. I served in the army from 91-99, four years active and 4 years national guard. I went in as a diesel mechanic, hoping to gain some experience to use after the military. I left after 8 years hating the work, basically no experience except working on 1967 deuce and half's. Would help me in no way to fix present day semi's. If I could do it again, I would have gone into a medical field, tons of nurses down at Sam Houston texas, air conditioned clinics to work in and probably some better experience. On the plus side, I went into the fire service after the army and got 5 points extra during the hiring process and recently 3.5 points on the lieutenants promotional exam...now I am a lieutenant. I would say medical, maybe legal, maybe computers? Either way, you come out with like $50,000 in college money anymore so pick something, do a few years and you will be golden!

also, if you do the GI Bill, it will be a great opportunity. After getting in the fire service, I pursued a bachelors in fire prevention and it didn't cost me a dime...just kept in contact with the VA and received a $400 check every month.

I regret not serving when I was younger, or even going into officer's school after college. My dad was a Marine Captain, and the leadership/management training the US Marine Corp gave him served him very well in his civilian career.

In the late '70s, military service was not valued by most of my high school peers. I guess coming off the VN War, folks just had little appreciation for it. The few classmates who did serve are generally doing very well in their careers.

I am so thankful for those of you who serve. My hat is off to you, and I 100% support better pay, benefits, and equipment for our military. May God bless each of you and your families.

Server in USAF from 1967 to 1971 and Air Guard from 1979 to 1983. Started out as Airpolice it changed to Security Police and now called security forces. I worker a 81mm mortar battary in Vietnam in 1969 and short range patrols. Vietnam security police were the start of what the Security Forces do today today..

We performed base security. on OP's and Flight line and short range patrols outside the wire.

Latest posts