Air conditioner causing stalling/RPM problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawnVic M

Reaction score
I have a 2001 ST that's having an air conditioning problem. Whether in A/C or Max A/C and only when in drive at a full stop, it clicks and the engine RPMs drop to almost stalling. This clicking and stalling happens every 5-10 seconds, and by the 2nd or 3rd time you can feel it's no longer chilling the air. Once driving, even at idling speeds, it seems to work fine although the clicking continues regularly. It does not have the problem when in park or neutral.

It first did this last summer when stuck in standstill traffic. It then operated normally, and did this one other time. Now it's been doing it constantly for the last 2-3 days. Your ideas as to the nature of the problem is appreciated!

Sounds like your IAC may be dirty and not controlling the loaded idle properly.

There is a project on how to clean the IAC if you have not done this yet. Very easy and well worth doing.

If your AC is kicking off and on every 5-10 seconds, I would think that you will find that your system is low on Freon. I would check that out first. Rod

Thanks, I'll check into both. I've been meaning to do an IAC cleaning anyway.

And the silly A/C worked normally today, go figure!

Latest posts