air compressor or electric impact wrench

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountyMounty

Reaction score
As I start to do more and more work on my own vehicles I have been debating buying an air compressor and tools for a while. Yesterday while at Harbor Freight I finally gave in an bought an air compressor (21gal) at a very good price after speaking with another customer who said he had the same one and it worked well for him. Now reading the reviews on it, I think I jumped the gun and might take it back. I wouldn't use it frequently enough to justify a $300+ compressor so I'm wondering about getting an electric impact wrench. I am going to do some research on them but was curious about anyone's experience with one, or suggestions for a cheap compressor I guess. I have two upcoming projects that I really think I would benefit from having a torque wrench, replacing the pinions seal, and removing and replaces my rusted up step bars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I LIVEby Craftsman tools (both hand and power) and have a number (5) cordless tools from their C3 system. They are all AWESOME and perform each task very wel for the price. I bought the 1/2" Impact Wrench last year and have had success with everything I've needed it on (except the 33 year old drive shaft on my three wheeler that was never removed :). I HIGHLY recomend it and have used it consistntly since I got it.

If you do go with the unit, get their XCP battery to go with it, the power of that over their standard 19.2V Li-Ion is truly noticable, in both torque and run time, and all their Li-Ion batteries charge in 45 minutes or less.

You may think you won't have enough power with the battery but I assure you you should. And the abilities of all of their C3 tools being cordless to boot, are too convenient to pass up, if you start with this I wouldn't be surprised if you started to expand your collection after seeing the results.

I bought a large Craftsman compressor and thought I would use it for everything. Not the case, it's noisy, takes too long to set up and pressurize for most simple tasks like rotating or putting air in tires. Ended up buying an additional small portable compressor which I use all the time and a DeWalt 1/2dr 18v impact gun. I can rotate my ST tires, check tire pressures and change oil in 30 minutes!

I impulse bought the Craftsman XCP set up and right out of the box it wouldn't charge the battery. I read many poor reviews on it after the purchase and ended up returning it. Craftsman isn't what they used to be...all Chinese made stuff now.

Here's the model I went with and a few reasons:

Campbell Hausfeld 1.3-HP 15-Gallon 200-PSI Electric Air Compressor

Compressor motor doesn't require oil

Cheap

Had a $50 Lowes gift card

Portable ...ish

I have it by my work beach, and with a 25ft spooled hose and a 20ft coiled hose, I can reach anywhere in the garage, and can reach the other side of my truck for inflating tires.

I just read through the comments at Lowes and they're not stellar, but I haven't had any problems with it.

Air Compressor is the way to go. While it may cost you more up front, it's cheaper in the long run since it can power so many tools. Them main thing is to get a compressor that has the PSI and can meet or exceed the CFM volume required by the tool you intend to use. The larger the reservoir tank, them more air you can use for a longer time.

For home use, you generally won't be using a lot of tools continuously, and even when you do, you just may need to pause for a minute for the compressor to fill the reservoir with compressed air.

Larger tanks are better than small tanks, but they become less portable. Higher maximum PSI is relatively insignificant except for a few tools. Most tools require less than 90 PSI, but may require more CFM.

I had a two cylinder 5 HP compressor with a 30 gallon tank that I purchased at Sam's Club about 25+ years ago and it worked great....and is still working, but I gave it to my best friend when I moved to my new house in 2010. I down sized my house, and and since I don't work on cars much any more (I'm 67 years old), I down sized my compressor. Now I have a small pancake style Craftsman portable compressor rated at 125 PSI and use it primarily to keep my tires inflated and to power a small brad nailer. I still have all my air tools but rarely use them....and some probably won't work well on such a small compressor.

...Rich

I have used the 21 ga1, 125 psi, 2.5HP, harbor frieght unit for years. This is the $149 unit with coupon.

It does the job for around the house. It has to run more when I use a tool above 4cfm. I keep the pressure @ 125, it helps. For my service I see it as a bargain. Going on 5 years.

EddieS'04 its good to here a positive review on the harbor freight one. So you have had the same one for years? Did you modify/add anything to it to make it last or work better? What oil do you use in it, I have only ever had oilless. At $149 I thought I couldn't go wrong but after reading through the reviews I am not so sure. While almost everything gets mixed reviews I really start to get worried with things that get 3.5 "stars" or less. I am still debating what to do. The HF corded electric impact gets pretty good reviews and so does the 18v one. Also I looked at the Craftsman one BigT mentioned and that does as well. I have tons of Craftsman tools that have served me well but to be honest since HF opened up nearby I am sucked in by the price. The thing being most of the tools I will use very infrequently I already have great sets of Craftsman mechanics stuff.

Air is the way to go for using lots of different tools but I do not expect I would use much other than an impact wrench. I already have a good electric grinder/cut off and do not see myself using paint or anything else that my small compressor cant do, like blowing.

Thanks for all the suggestions I need to stew it over a little more, I was a bit excited to finally get into air tools but I'm not so sure it is needed for my DIY level.

For what it's Worth!

I bought a 1.5 HP Stanley Bostich compressor 10 years ago with 2 finishing nailers and finished off my basement with it (and have also built some furniture). I use a 1/3 HP 2 gallon compressor out in the garage for filling the tires (Noisy but better than the 5 Gal tank I kept filling and hauling up the stairs from the basement after filling with the Stanley!)

I bought a 1/2 inch electric impact wrench from Harbor Freight 3 years ago for the annual ritual of swapping wheels and tires each fall & spring for the Trac and wife's car. It does an OK job (unless the salt corrodes the nuts a bit and then I use an iron pipe on a spanner to loosen the offending wheel nut). I have done 6 wheel changes on two vehicles and the HF impact wrench has not let me down. The two compressors, 2 nail guns and impact wrench was probably a smaller investment than your compressor and fit each need a bit better.

Good luck on your decision!

:banana:

I don't care much for Harbor Freight electric power tools, but I did buy a 12 Volt impact wrench there about 10 years ago. I kept it in my Sport Trac for changing tires and it worked great, but it is not a traditional impact wrench with rapid hammering pulses. The motor spins a weight inside the gun for about 5 seconds, and then releases a centrifugal clutch which provides a single strong impact to jolt the nuts loose and then spins them off. Sometimes it may take 2 or 3 jolts to break the nuts loose, but it does the job...just a little slower than a conventional air impact wrench.

I bought it because a friend said he had one and even used it to completely dismantle an engine. It comes with a case and several sockets to fit most lug nuts, but you can use any 1/2" socket wrenches on it.

I only mention this because the 12 volt impact wrench only cost about $20, but works great.. If you need other tools, then stick with an air compressor, but if you only need an impact wrench for occasional use, this might be the way to go.

...Rich

I think I am going to get the electric (corded) HF impact for $40 and try it out and then decide if I am going to take that back or the compressor. I see the 18V HF impact is rated high torque but it is also way more expensive and I do not need cordless for how I will use it. I am kind of doubting that any of them will break lose the pinion nut I need to anyway. Thanks again for the responses.

Firedog,

I used oil for compressors or non-detergent 30w. One mod I did was a larger regulator. The factory one has a 1/4" internal orfice. I bought the HF 3/8" npt regulator. The internal orfice is larger. More cfm thru the regulator.

The one thing I like of air vs elec. Some air tools are smaller per power.

As far as breaking the pinion nut. The harbor freight earthqauke air gun might do it. If anything the earthquake is more powerful, and worth the difference in $$$.

I have a freind that has one. That will be my replacment someday.

Even @ 125psi, the standard unit will not output the 250 tq, it says...

I am going to give that electric one a try just as soon as I can get back to HF to grab one, I need some other stuff anyway. If that ones seems OK, like if it actually seems to get anywhere near its rated torque, then I will probably just got hat route as it will be just as good as most air ones with that compressor. I didn't do the research like I normally do and now I'm not so sure I need to invest in the air, it would be nice but I would get much more out of using that money for a new BBQ lol.

I do quite a bit of work around the house and have had an air compressor but have since just bought electric power tools as it just fits my style as easier to plug and play. Air is not cheap. any way my .02.

looka here at this..