Aftermarket Tire Problem?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a 2007 XLT 4X4 last month and am just now getting around to making a few minor changes to it. One of the first things I would like to do is get rid of the stock Michelin tires (235/70R16) and go to a larger tire with a more aggressive tread. Nothing radical...maybe a 245/75R16 on the stock wheels...perhaps a BFG All-Terain T/A. So I stopped at a local tire shop after work yesterday and was told that they will not sell me anything except the stock size. They are basing this on Ford recommendations and they told me if I go elsewhere and get this done that it will void my warranty. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

Go elsewhere.

As far as I am to understand, there is an Act that protects us (people who like to mod our vehicles) from being denied warranty work if we choose to modify. However, for obvious reasons, Ford will not warranty your new tires if something were to happen. Hell, half the time Ford won't warranty the tires that are OEM.

There are other shops that will put on the new tires. And you assume responsibility for those tires.

The tires should be warrantied from defects by Ford (whether they outsource to the manufacturer or not) for the first 12,000 miles. Some have had success with Ford warrantying work, and others, like me, have not. They gave me the run-around until after 12,000 miles and then told me there was nothing they had to do any more, I was out of warranty.

I wouldnt put bigger tires on the stock rims. I do not blame the tire place for telling you no. If they were to mount the bigger tire on the stock rim and you had a blow out, then what would happen? Better safe then sorry...IMO.

I have 265/75/16's on my stock '02 rims, which re 7.5 inches wide. I went to the tire mfg'rs website and looked up the specs on the tire, and it said the tire would fit a 7 to 9 inch rim.

I would suggest that that type of homework be done. As for the shop declining to put non stock tires on the car, it is purely for liability reasons. Places like BJ's and Sams will sell you the tires, but you have to take them elsewhere to mount them. I too are looking at those BFG tire you speced for my next tires. the look of the bigger tire is a dramatic inprovement. See my library for before and after pics...

Thanks for everybody's quick response to my earlier message. I perhaps should have been a little clearer in that I'm not real concerned about the tire warranty. The salesperson at the tire shop implied that putting a bigger tire on would cause me problems with my Ford warranty, not only the tire warranty. Also, the BFG tires I talked about (245/75R16) will fit on my factory wheel according to BFG's website. And also consider this: the BFG tire has a section width of 9.6 inches vs. a section width of 9.3 inches on the stock tire...not much difference! I am mainly interested in a bigger diameter with a more aggressive tread than stock. So far, I like Jenn D's advice: I'll go elsewhere!

If the larger tires cause excessive wear to your ST components (suspension or otherwise) then that damage would not be covered under Ford warranty. It would be difficult for a Ford dealer mechanic to prove the damage was because of larger tires however.

The local WalMart now has a policy of refusing to put on any tire other than the size listed on the door sticker. That means they won't even put the 255s on (which is the other stock size for the 01-05 Tracs) instead of the 235s.

Go elsewhere. I have 245/75r16's on mine and they aren't much wider than the 235's that were on there. Just taller. The whole warrenty issue is just a way of Ford being able to say that the problem isn't covered under warrenty since you changed their design. (flawed or not);)[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hellhound,

When you get your tires, send me the Michelins. I'll pay for shipping. They are the best tires I've ever had and I've had cars for 40 years.

To Bill-E:

Thanks for your comments! If and when I ever resolve what should be a simple problem, I'm willing to deal! In regard to the Michelins, I have just over 3000 miles on them and I must admit, other than their size and appearance, they seem to be excellent tires as the ST handles well and has an extremely smooth, quiet ride. I just happen to be looking for something a little different. Thanks again to everybody for your input.

Latest posts