After CV joint replacement, leak where the CV shaft connects to front diff

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I have my CV Joint replaced on Monday where because the boot was torn. Part replaced was on the passanger side. Since Friday, I've started seeing drips of gear oil on the ground, a puddle about the size of a adult hand. Is their a seal that should have been replaced with the CV? I noticed some play moving the CV in and out of the front differential, maybe 1/8 of an inch in and out. The trucks been parked since Saturday. I haven't moved it because the leak is very sever. Its smells a lot like gear fluid and is clear and clean.

Is their a seal between those 2 points? Should it have been replaced with the new CV?

I replaced both of my axle shaft seals when I did my new ball joints, tie rod ends, etc... last spring and it didn't help at all. Just saying. If it's a big leak then I would say replace them and see if it helps, if it's just a sip type leak then let it be (so I've read).

:eek:nline::banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a big leak. I lost about 1/4 of the front diff fluid. I did add some to last me a trip to the shop. The driver side is still is great shape, no leak. A friend of the family worked on it. I've read a little bit the aftermarket seals are not very good quality. Not sure if that is a difference or what. But its spraying all over the brakes and exhaust. Smells terrible.

Almost sounds like they removed the old seal to replace it, and then forgot to put a new one in!!!

Take it back, or better yet call them and have them tow it in and make sure they know that they will be responsible for damages to your front differential should it fail in the near future.

Get and keep copies of all the paperwork documenting what they did wrong.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Al,

I have the same problem on my 2004, but on the driver side. I changed the seal twice, and I changed the CV axle twice, thinking it was defective. Mine doesnt leak as bad and i check it often, but I still cant figure out why it started doing that.

Let me know if you find your problem, maybe I can get a general direction of where to start. ITs been a couple months now

Update:

They did not replace the seal when replacing the CV axle joint. But it was badly damaged and should have been. Didn't cost me anything other than my time. They used a National brand axle seal, which he says are the same manufacture which makes Motorcraft seals.

George, the mechanic did tell me to watch it closely as some seals don't sit properly or sometime shrink with heat then weap. When cooler temps hit they can expand.

Richard, famliy friend felt pretty bad about it. This was the first repair on my trac his shop has performed. He didn't charge me anything even though I offered to pay for the seal. The good news is the gears are in very good shape with 92000 miles on them. I did replace the fluid around 60000 miles with Valvoline 80w-90.

I am experiencing the issue of leaking fluid at the end of the axle shaft housing after replacing the CV joints on the passenger side. However, I am wondering if something is unique: the axle moves about 1/4 of an inch lateral. When it is closest to the center of the truck, no visible fluid is leaking, but when I shift the shaft lateral towards the passenger wheel fluid will flow out from the seal. Thoughts?

I ended up purchasing new passenger Axle Shafts from Ford. Turned out that the axle shafts purchased from Oriellys didn't have an added collar for the rubber seal to nest into.