Aerial photos of devastation in Japan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob McDonald

Reaction score
This is a link to before and after Aerial photos of areas of Japan showing the devastation. Drag the slide left and right to compare the differences.

Very striking and also mind numbing. Just horrible destruction.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/13/world/asia/satellite-photos-japan-before-and-after-tsunami.html

One thing I found interesting...

Take a look at the second photo--right below the one of the nuclear reactors, the first in the "north of Sendai" series. Look at the current, devastated version. Find the buildings with the orange roofs near the right. Now go the left about an inch, and you'll find the one and only building among a large swath of completely destroyed buildings that survived. Unlike most of the other buildings in the area, it's set back from the road a bit. I suspect that most of those buildings are residential homes, from the looks of it.

Now look at the old, pre-tsunami photo of the same area, from taken in November 2009.

Notice something?

It didn't exist then. The only building in the area of that type which survived is new construction since 11/09.

Almost makes you wonder--Why did this one survive? Was it subject to newer building codes?

Not saying anything either way--I don't have enough info to do so. Just something I noticed that made me curious...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow..

Those series of photos really help you understand the scale of the devastation.

I don't think I, personally, will ever truly grasp the magnitude of the tragedy.

Bill V, I noticed that too. I was starting to think that the 2nd picture wasn't of the exact same area.

Most of the pictures don't seem to be spot-on, even the first one with the reactors. That cheapens the comparison. The article title should be adjusted, I really thought that the pics would be from the exact same vantage points each time :(

Still some astounding devastation though. I wouldn't compare it to WW2 as the news does, but impressive nonetheless.

I thought that even where the angle was slightly different, the comparison was close enough to remain quite astonishing. I could see how, with everything else going on, it might be challenging to get a satellite lined up spot on for such a photo. Especially when the improvement gained by such effort is likely reaching the point of diminishing returns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts