Advise on totaled car, Next steps

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Chatten

Reaction score
My 2001 Sport Trac is still going strong and my 17 year old son loves it. Unfortunately, this past week, in traffic, getting on to an on ramp in stop and go traffic my 2007 Honda Pilot ( 4WD, EX-L ) was hit. The car had damage in the back and front ( was sandwiched ) and the initial estimate came back with 9k in damage. The car that hit me was sighted and 100% responsible. The body shop called me today and after their review ( tear-down ), and he told me the estimate is more around 15k. He has contacted the insurance company, and I will know in 48 hours if they declare it totaled.

I have to say that we are bummed out. We had just paid it off and thought we would have this for many more years. That being said, I am ok, got a little whiplash, and it is a car and can be replaced.

The Honda Pilot is in mint condition with 70k. My wife was the primary driver and she is a clean freak, maintenance nut, and my kids are older so there is no kid stains or impact.

I am sitting here thinking that there is no way we are going to get a good settlement, but I guess you never know. I did the check that various sites in the replacement is about 18k.

We have all of our maintenance records so we will provide that to the insurance company, and it is a Honda Pilot, and I know the resale value is pretty good, even with 70k.

Has anybody had a similar experience and what advise can you give?

Thank you in adance,

DanC

Massachusetts

sorry to hear.

from experience the insur co usually totals the vehicle if the damage cost is 75-80% of the current value. since it is a honda you may get a little more leeway. also depends on the adjuster looking at the vehicle.

good luck.

btw, be prepared for the anti honda comments!

Correction...It WAS in mint condition.

Its only a car, and only a Honda to boot.

Get another one, they made millions. No big deal.

You will get a settlement, but not as much as you think you should get. Yeah, it will be a bad deal. Just take it, move on, make the best of it, and send prayers of thanks that no one was injured or killed. I have never heard anyone who was happy with their settlement when a vehicle was totaled.

BTW: My wife's 2010 Pilot Touring (60k miles) just had $3400 of PDR hail damage repair. It looks like new again. Not sure if it was worth spending that much money on it, but insurance paid for all of it.

My 1981 Granada was broadsided by a concrete mixer that ran a stop sign many years ago. It had 120,000 miles on it, but it was in excellent shape. The concrete mixer company totalled it. I refused their offer and said that if they can't find an identical car in identical condition, then I want my car fixed. They fixed my car and it went on for another few years. I sold it to a 16 year girl who wrapped it around a tree a week later.

I had a scooter that I bought for $2000. 9 months later a lady flipped a u-turn in front of me without seeing me totaling the scooter and was offered $2800 for it and gladly accepted. I was then offered a nice settlement for my injuries and was ready to accept and the guy that works for the other insurance company told me to ask for more and actually told me how much to ask for which was an extra 50%.

I wanted to give an update.

Met-Auto totaled the car after review, so we have been working with both MetAuto and Liberty Mutual, and I have to say it was "surprisingly" good experience all the way around.

We did our home work and found 2007 Honda Pilot's with the same milage and type ranging anywhere from $16.5k - $18.5k, so I was prepared to "fight". We ended up getting a total pay out of $17.5k. I know many told me not to accept the first offer, but I have no complaints with the pay out figure. I'll get the check on Friday, and they have also extended the rental for another 2 weeks to give us time to find a new car.

Thanks for everyone's input and advise.

Dan

Latest posts