Advance Cover - Lock issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Ohnsman

Reaction score
I love my Advance Cover bought from K-Covers, but have started to experience a problem and wondered if any other Advanced Cover owners have seen this...

The keyed locks can be turned, even after they are locked, enouugh to release the mechanism and open the cover. Obviously the lock is of no use if it can be defeated with a hard turn.

I also had a hair-raising experience the other day when the lock on the front half of the cover was not completely engaged and, while driving home from boating I suddenly heard a loud WHAM! (Scared the %%##$& outta me! :eek: ) I though something bad had happened with the boat I was towing). What had happened is the wind caught the front of the loose cover and flipped it back HARD. Fortunately, it didn't tear it off completely and there was no damage (other than to my shorts... :blink:)

Anyone else had any cover locking issues with the Advanced Covers? What was the fix?

When I received mine I had to modify the locking mechanism since it would not turn with the key when installed. After that I didn't have any other problems...

Les...

Define "modify".

Mine turn ok and when the cover was first installed (only a few months ago), the locks did what they were supposed to do. Now a hard turn, (even when they are locked) will still open 'em.

I had a problem with mine when I 1st installed it too..

Then I had to adjust the latch points and it worked great. If you are having problems with the lock turning in the opening.. that might be a different problem. Might have to take apart the assembly and see if the mounting hole rounded out. Suppose to have a flat spot on it.. alomst like a keyway

And as far as having it blow open while driving.. I have had that happen a few times.

driving away from the sun. and everything going dark (blocks all the sun light ) before I heard the SLAM.... was very scary.

Would not wish it on anyone..

Similar to what Sal said about adjusting the latch points. It just seemed like no-one at Advance had actually installed one on a truck in a few years and the locking measurements were off. It sounds like you are having a problem Sal has experienced in the past.

Latest posts