Additional bolt ons

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Abson 3

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Running 140K on my 2005 Adrenalin. Got Zabtecks cold air, larger MAF, custom throttle and Torries tunes. Whats next? Was thinking supercharger, but don't think 2K is going to give me best bang for the buck, especially since I have been told you have to rebuild an engine that old before thinking about a supercharger.

So what do you folks recommend?

Short of a supercharger, I think you've got just about everything. Only other things I can think of would be the Random Tech Y-pipe & high-flow cat.

3-0-2 :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, when my 2004 STA 4.0 goes out.... get a 302!

As for bolt on...

Random Tech Y-pipe and CAT.

I am running a MagnaFlow exhaust in addition.

Grab a SCT X4.

Plugs/wires...

Depending what oil you like. I got Royal Purple 5w30 full syn.

That is probably it.

I always wondered what stoped ford from using the 302 pushrod in the gen1..

Probably bean counters.:banghead:

The the last 302 pushrod motors as in the ex and merc. Made more power than the last pushrod in the '95 'stang. Except the '95 cobra 302. The '89 cobra 302 made the most stock hp/tq, vs the last couple of yrs of the pushrod 302 cobra. Mainly the '89 ecu was more aggresive.

The '89 cobra 302 and the harness to go with it (latter cobra and last harness was pined different) would make a nice swap. But the ones that are still out there are keepers. dought that any salvageyards have any.

jerrya,

Actually, with my bolt ons and tune in my'04. I have found that I run with or out run some of the chevy truck, with the 5.3 vortechs in stock condition. They would most likely get me on top end, but. There has been many times in aproxamitly 1/8th mile. I have had to roll my window down and explain my Trac to the chevy owner. When they did pull on me, it wasnt by much. They were all suprised, I only had a 4.0L. Had to show it to some. Not lieing, just braging....LOL

If I was ever to go with a 302, it wouldnt stay stock. 'cause my 4.0 runs good enough. I do wish ford had the option though. Im soo familiar with working on the old 302 pushrod.

Don't waste your money or busted knuckles on anything other than OEM plugs, wires, or coil pack. The 4.0 V6 is very finicky when it comes to plugs, and most folks who've "upgraded" to something other than OEM Motorcraft/Autolite plugs have reported problems with said plugs.

And personally, I had better luck with the OEM coil pack than the Screamin' Demon coil pack. I went through two of the SD packs in a three-year span and then finally put the OEM coil pack back on. I'd also installed the SD Live Wire plug wires, but honestly, I don't think they made that much of a difference. However, they did look cool!:supercool:

Yea, trying to explain dropping in a 302 to the misses wouldn't be an easy sell. She had that deer in the headlight look when I mentioned the supercharger at 2K.

Wasn't sure if there was more. And I forgot to mention I do have a custom Magnaflow cat back exhaust with hidden tip.

thanks again everyone.

:supercool::love::supercool:

TT,

Ditto on the SD coil pak. I bought mine used from another member about 4yrs ago.. Between him and myself. it lasted 8 months. Then terminal #3 burnt out and caused a miss-fire. The wires still work.

Performance of the original oem coil is still good, after 12yrs.

Latest posts