adding leaf spring ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TowTrac

Reaction score
I need to add some leaf springs. I was going to buy a kit and then go to the junk yard and pull the leaf springs from an old trac, ranger or explorer and put one of those on as well. If i start packing springs together does it matter which ones I use. I don't care about the ride I need the truck not to squat.

My idea is to pack 2 leafs of any size and bolt them back to the axle. and thoughts ideas or experience would be great.

Thanks,

John

Member Tom Cayman has used the air bags for years with no problems. Do a message search. He has hauled some fairly heavy loads.

I need the truck not to squat.

Why is it squatting? If it's because of the heavy loads that you're hauling or towing, then perhaps you're taking on more than the Trac can handle, and need a bigger truck.

At our shop, we get this request all the time...

Solution is...

You need to measure the length of the spring over all, with the arch, (Not end to end without the arch as the scrap yard will measure along the arched spring). Then from one end, tell them where you need the center pin hole.

If no one by you will help you, get me the info and we will ship them to you.

Pretty cheap thing to do in the big picture.

The longer the leaf the more weight it will carry. The shorter the leaf, it will raise the height of the truck but not really increase the weight carrying capabilities.

I would suggest you sandwich the replacement leaf(s) between existing leafs, so make it shorter than the one above it and longer than the one below it.

Coastie Joe,

That's the answer I was looking for. I will contact you again and get your info I would be more than happy to buy from you. I was gonna go to the junk yard and pull the longest spring on the set that isn't clapped together with the metal bracket (4th from the top). I was thinking the same thing you said about the longer springs hold the weight and short ones add height. I hate guessing though even if I end up right.

I need more weight carrying. I know I need a bigger truck but my ST is PAID FOR so i gotta make it work.

Thanks so much for the input get me an estimate and I'll add to the list of things to do.

John

What I would like from you, (as I no longer own my Trac), the measurements as I described above. Also, there are three main thicknesses they use, not an issue but I always try to match it with the other leafs.

Sometimes center bolts can be HARD to get from local stores. If you want, I can send them as well, that said, give me the PRESENT over-all thickness of your springs as there are various lengths and they are NOT threaded all the way down.

From there, I can get you a pretty accurate price...

Latest posts