Adding In-Dash Navigation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Wolf

Reaction score
In my '10 ST XLT, it currently has the non-nav unit with Sync and Sirius.

I'm looking to explore one of two options:

1 - Replace the unit with a factory Nav unit and retain the currrent Sync function. I've heard this can be a pain, and requires the computer to be flashed, possibly the most expensive route.

2 - Aftermarket. Which I probably cannot retain the Sync, but I would like a unit that has sync like functions, such as hands free calling, voice commands, ipod control (iphone) etc. Use of steering wheel controls would also be neccessary, I want it to "feel" factory. if that makes sense.

Has anyone done either? How much would number 1 cost? for number 2, anyone recommend a certain unit that works good in the ST?

Another stupid question thats probably not possible.

If I went aftermarket, and no longer used the sync. Is there any way to take the head unit and the sync out, and pop it in a 2007 Ford Edge. Her head unit looks the same, and wouldn't expect 100% full sync functionality, but just things like voice control of ipod.

Her steering wheel doesn't have the right buttons, I dunno... Just a thought...

I would get a factory unit and find a competent (this is going to be the hard part) person that can reprogram the vehicle. This isn't really hard for someone who knows how to use an IDS. I have done a few and it only takes a couple minutes to reconfigure the vehicle. Being that you have SYNC already it is really the best way to go IMO becasue you already have the buttons on the steering wheel and you retain that factory feel

In my 2007 ST I got a factory nav off of ebay and installed it. Of course I didn't have the sync to reprogram so it was very easy--the only difficult part was figuring out where to put the antenna for the nav (only place it would work was directly under the red light on the dash).

I just got a new 2010 ST with the factory nav. The new voice activated nav with sync and sirius traffic is sooooooooo much better than the 07 nav. It is completely hands free, and the picture is much better. It also has a 10 g storage drive that allows you to download all of your CDs and make your own digital music library on the truck as well as add pictures that you can display on the screen. So, I would definitely go for the factory nav.

OK, I went to the Ford dealer, and told them what I was interested in. They gave me a total price, out the door for $4,500 plus tax.

That's just not going to happen.

I see this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250769343223

I emailed they guy, He says it will work, It's the Pioneer unit, and doesn't need to reprogram the vehicle itself. He says my Sirius, Sync, Reverse Sensor Beeps, will all work, and it is plug and play. He will program the head unit to work with my stuff.

Anyone have any dealings with this? If this works, it may be the way to got, otherwise, I'm thinking of a Kenwood aftermarket.

Do your homework on the seller, if your comfortable it should be ok. I know people who have gone this route, not sure who they bought from though, and they have had no issues

Check this item out as well if you haven't yet... It's supposed to let you keep things like sync and steering wheel controls functional with an aftermarket H/U.

Hello Brian:

Hope I am not too late in answering? Just got your email responder today...

First off, I absolutely LOVE the Pioneer AVIC Z120BT in my '10 Sport Trac Limited and I do speak from some experience on this...

Did you buy an AVIC Z120BT? If so, disregard the VSS wire, it really does not do anything! I did connect it on my install but have been told by many people familiar with installs of Z120BTs on many cars, the VSS wire is irrelevant. So if you cannot find the matching wire on your Sport Trac harness, don't fret!

Was curious, are you using the Interface harenss between the Ford Factory harness and your Avic's harness? This $15 part makes life much easier and you won't have to cut your 3 plug Ford harness :)

As far as some of the factory vs. aftermarket questions, here's where I stand on that. I had an '08 Sport Trac a few years ago. I added an OEM Ford NAV to it and was very easy as my '08 ST did NOT have SYNC. However, on the 2009 and 2010 Sport Tracs, it's not so easy to ad an OEM NAV unit, even with programming through United Radio in New York. I learned this the hard way by buying a 2009 OEM Ford NAV out of a Ford Escape, and even though it looks just like the factory installed NAV in a 2009-2010 ST, there was NO way to get it to work - I resold the Escape NAV to an Escape owner who had NO trouble installing it in his car and I went the aftermarket route with the Pioneer.

I am 4 months into ownership and just love the unit! I have Voice activated NAV, Phone, gerat Ipod control - even though I have these features directly via the Pioneer and NOT the SYNC in the my truck, but who would know the difference? My only other caveat is to opt for the Pioneer XM tuner rather than the Sirius tuner as the XM tuner had much better on screen graphics and functions.

Let me know if you have any other questions? Hopefully your installed is going or went smoother than mine? I spent about 4 evenings doing the whole thing (backup camera, antennas, microphone etc) but it was well worth it - really makes the truck complete!

Regards, B3

by B3-ST,2/26/2011 17:37 MT

However, on the 2009 and 2010 Sport Tracs, it's not so easy to ad an OEM NAV unit, even with programming through United Radio in New York. I learned this the hard way by buying a 2009 OEM Ford NAV out of a Ford Escape, and even though it looks just like the factory installed NAV in a 2009-2010 ST, there was NO way to get it to work - I resold the Escape NAV to an Escape owner who had NO trouble installing it in his car and I went the aftermarket route with the Pioneer.

Most of the Ford nav units are all the same and the only thing that is different is programming. I can tell you without a doubt that you can take a nav unit out of an 09-10 F150 and reprogram it to work in a 09-10 ST and honestly I don't see why you can't use the one out of an Escape. When I switch out units I reconfigure them with Fords scan tool. What was the problem that you were having.

Latest posts