Adding a clock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my dilema. I put in an aftermarket stereo but I can only have the clock or the song display up at one time. I want to add a clock display in the little storage bin underneath the headunit so that I have a clock and can display my song information. Can I just get any led clock display from any car and match up the wires behind the dash? Anyone done anything like this?

They make a lot of battery operated digital clocks for automotive use. Why not just use one of them and save yourself all the wiring hassles?

....Rich

I have the same dilemma, and thought about a small lcd clock. The problem is with illumination. Can't see the time at night unless a small button is pressed, then the light is usually very weak. The best solution I've found is a gauge style clock from AutoMeter, but is pretty expense. Anyone have a better idea?

rmac, thats my same thoughts. I dont want to have to deal with batteries and I dont want ot deal with lights and illumination.

I'm finding clock displays from other cars on ebay but just was wondering if I can just plug it in and go on my way.

Check the voltage and when power is supplied on existing wires you that can splice (lighters are a good source - fuse protected and rarely on). Will probably find an always on 12VDC that you can use. If the clock you want operates on less than 12VDC, you can add a resister to lower the voltage, but I suspect that there will be a 12VDC clock out three you'll like.

If you find a clock with a separate line for light dimming, you might connect that to the dash light dimmer switch, but that light could stay full on and toggle on and off with the dash lights. Either way.

Latest posts