Ac fan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
2003 ST w/ 168K miles

Two days ago the fan wouldn't come on at all, next day it worked for part of the day but then stopped. This is not an auto temp system, just the manual hvac with a dial for the fan and a dial for cold/hot. Since fan motor is apparently not dead, could this be a fuse or switch?

If anyone has has a similar problem, I'd appreciate your suggestions for what to have my mechanic check.

Thanks!

blower motor resistor, will the fan work on High setting pretty normal to burn up the connector and the resistor under the hood right side just below the blower motor on the firewall

If you're asking whether it will only work on high, the answer is no. When it works, the fan seems to work on all settings. When it won't work, none of the settings work.

the brushes in the fan motor might be on their way out. there could also be a loose connection somewhere in the power feed to the switches and motor

Fuse check is pretty easy. There's a diagram in your Owner's Manual. After that I'd check for power at the blower motor. There is also a blower motor resistor. I had a blower problem with my 07 Gen2 Limited (electronic HVAC) that turned out to be this resistor. My repair is in the Maintenance section of Projects. The failed part you'll see there is different from the one in your Gen1. Below is a search result on O'Reilly's website with pictures of this part. That could be your problem. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your problem turns out to be the blower resistor, there are YouTube videos to help you with the repair. Here's one I found for a Ford Ranger - but the part looks just like the one I found for your Trac on O'Reilly. It may be mounted underhood or behind the glovebox. You'll have to find it.

had the same problem with my '01..replaced the blower motor on the passengers side fire wall...

not an easy job as you have to remove the antifreeze and window wash tank..great time to clean them, but ford has a funky bolt on the inner fender that was a pain..

good luck...

Latest posts