AC drain tube cleaning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel Pilgrim

Reaction score
Has anyone had to clean their ac drain tube? On my 09 it seems to be plugged. I tried looking for it from the top at the back of the engine but did not find it. I suspect because of the V8 you access it from under the vehicle.

Mel

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a spider spun a web in there and there's a bunch of junk stuck.

Try a hydration pack bladder tube brush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like he needs to know where to find the tube before he needs the brush. I have a Gen 2 also so I would also like to know where the tube is just in case it becomes an issue with my ST in the future.

Should be pretty easy to find provided you're under the car. Follow path from dashboard downward and look for the tube coming through the floor on either side of transmission.

Ok I have put the truck up on ramps. Looked on both sides of the transmission and no luck. On the passenger side is the starter. Drivers side not much better view.

I think it is on passenger side but there is a heat shield blanket that may be hiding it. Also an electrical cable running Down and alone side of trans.

So far not looking good. I checked passenger floor just in case it was leaking inside but it is dry.

I think I may call it a day and call the dealer to check and fix it.

Does the A/C work? Does it drain at all? If it drains, follow that discharge up.

I had a van where the tube drained in to the frame rail and the discharge ran along the frame about six inches before dripping to the ground.

its on the drivers side way up above the transmission, forward of the shifting linkage. It might be possible to access the coils and box by pulling the fan motor; at least according to the ford repair manual.

the AC works fine. but, I cannot see any dripping of water or anything on either side of the tranny. I even ran it for a trip out to my cabin and checked when I got there, since it had been running for over an hour and nothing. Given the smell when ac is on, that is what I suspect. blocked drain tube.

I will try looking again on the drivers side. for some reason I was thinking it was the passenger side. thanks Bambam.

I finally got around to putting the truck up on jack stands to rotate tires and decided to see if I can find the evaporate drain. Found it Bambara where you said. Drivers side.

I was able to get a small tube up and into the drain. I then used air compressor to blow out anything that was blocking. It worked. Now draining. I then mixed some water, bleach and fabreeze in a pressure bottle and used same tube to put the solution into the evaporator.

Now no odours all fixed up. :supercool::banana:

Latest posts