AC Clutch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Robida

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
There is a repetitive clicking under the hood of my ST. I notice it when I am idling. I think it is the AC clutch. Does anyone else's AC clutch cycle on and off every 10 seconds or so when idling. AC is turned off.

I've only noticed it in the last 20,000 miles or so. I have about 115,000 miles on my ST.

TRR

It is normal depending on the season and your HVAC settings. If the system no longer cools as well, the system may need recharged.

Tom

Mine only does it with the AC on or the Heater when not turned on to floor air.

Caymen, why would the clutch cycle on and off do to the season. It would seem the clutch would wear out.

Or am I reading you wrong?

Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine does it, still does it, always did it even when in defrost mode..... it sucks, it's annoying and I have to live with it. Something is wrong with it and it was like that since it was brand new... Ford Quality once again!:angry:

it's supposed to do it in defrost mode. my understanding is that by running it through the ac compressor it removes moisture to help defrost/defog the windows better.

under any other setting besides ac or defrost I can't say for sure.

I found it annoying as well. All the cars I own do it when in the defrost mode, but the Sport Trac's was unusually often. I asked my mechanic to address the problem. He said it just needed a little recharge. It was only about $20 and it cured the problem. It still cycles but nowhere nearly as frequent as it did before. The mechanic said that after a few years it just loses a little charge. My Trac is an '04.

I had the problem this past summer, kept clicking on and off every 10 seconds. I got it recharged and while it still clicks on and off, it's not nearly as often