ABS unit problems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Magliocca

Reaction score
The brake pedal in the ST recently started to pulsate(abs engaging like) at slow speed with wheels turned near lock. I wrote it off at first. Now it has started to on occasion do it when pulling to a slow stop. I have noticed no lack of braking force, or increased pedal travel during normal higher speed driving/braking.

My old Audi had a bad ABS unit that caused the same sensation. The pedal get's stiff, slightly pulses, and a tire usually locks up. I thought the rotors/pads in front might be bad again, but when I did my winter wheel/tire changeover I saw no unusual wear.

Any idea's? Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Mine does this every time I pull into my parking spot at home or sometimes backing up and hitting the breaks. I don't know but it works fine otherwise.

Dude, That happens to my 01 ST too! What the hell is it? and how can we fix it? Todd Z said it could be the ABS ring or something like that. Let me know...:unsure:

That happened to me today when stopping on a dry road. It was like I lost brakes, heard the ABS thumping and it felt like I lost steering too, all while the brake pedal seemed to drop to the floor. It didn't happen again, only once.

14K miles on my 04, never had the brakes serviced, but I bet I have to now.

I think my front pads might be getting worn, as I have heard a squeek when I applied the brakes (heard it the first time the last couple days). The squeek is intermittent....hope they aren't metal on metal causing warped rotors, which I would find hard to believe as last time I was in for an oil change the dealer didn't say anything about the pads getting low.

TJR

Mine still does it when I turn my wheel when I park or at slow speeds sometimes. I hope this is something I can fix myself. I'd like to do it before we get snow in boston.

the link leads to the problem being warped rotors. No way. There is no other vibration, or pulsating under most normal breaking, even panic breaking manuevers. I had an old Audi that warped rotors often, I know all too well what that feels like.

Any other idea's?

could be what you guys feel is the universals on the front shafts "rolling" over on tight turns. My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee did that when steered hard left or right. Do you feel it in the steering as well? I barely steer that hard and may have just never noticed it due to being used to the Jeep. Thank god we got rid of the peice of crap. (I didn't like the Jeep for other reasons);)

I Just had $450.00 of brake work done. New Calipers, Pads, rotors, and hoses. My Sport Trac is still having problems with the ABS engaging on DRY concrete or Blacktop. Is the problem a sensor? My local Ford Dealership said they will diagnose it for $140.00. I do get stopped but it scares the dickens out of you at first when the ABS engage. It seems to happen more and more. One out 5 stops. Someone please HELP me with this problem.

Thanks,

:angry:

Latest posts