ABS or Not?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Olson

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2001 Ford Sport Trac 2 X 4 with about 136K on it. I purchased it for hauling stuff and transporting kayaks etc. The vehicle was in really great shape. When I test drove the vehicle I noticed an issue. When you slowed down and go to a really slow speed it pulled to the left and the pedal pulsed, pulled slightly to the left and went down to the floor and it stopped. I got a bud at Tire Kingdom and he checked it out and said the brakes etc were fine. When he drove it, the ABS light came on and the problem went away. The ABS light comes and goes without any rhyme or reason.

I did some research that night and some one suggested going to AutoZone and read the computer. The computer showed a failure of the left ABS sensor. I replaced it. The problem is not as pronounced but it still pulses but does not pull to the left. The ABS light does not come on any more.

I am REALLY enjoying this truck. My daily drive is a minivan and this is so much better to me. Anyway, I want to fix this but I would love not to invest a small fortune in this truck. When the ABS light came on and disabled the ABS system, the truck brakes normally. Is this definite proof it's the ABS system? Would I be better disabling the ABS? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The quickest path to a fix is probably taking it to the ... dealer. They have the diagnostic equipment and (hopefully) the experienced personnel.

the tone ring that the ABS sensor senses may be rusted or dirty, or even from a different vendor from the other side...

I agree with STanner...at least that should be your next step to insure that the tone ring is clean and the sensor bracket is not bent. It is also possible that the rotor was replaced and the tone ring is not up to spec's?

I'm sure Ford can diagnose the problem, but they will probably charge you 2-3 times what a well equiped independed shop would charge to do the job.

....Rich

I have a question about the tone ring. It is a replacable part or is it part of the hub assembly? I can try to talk to the previous owner but I am not sure how good he is on details.

Before I replaced the sensor and the ABS light came on the truck stopped perfectly. It is worth it to even have the ABS system?? I understand the control in high speed stops or wet conditions but it seems to cause more trouble than it's worth. Has anybody disconnected their ABS system and is there any braking issues except for the light on the dash?

If the abs is engaging and the vehicle is pulling to the left when it happens then the problem lies with the right side. The abs computer thinks that the right wheel is locking up therefore it releases the right front brake and when it does the vehicle pulls left because that brake is still being applied. This problem is almost alwasy the result of a bad tone ring or a dirty tone ring.

You can pull the fuse for the abs system and you will have normal brakes but I would have it fixed after all it is a safety feature....you wouldn't remove the airbags would you??? The abs is not a troublesome system, usually they are relatively problem free.

Is the tone ring a replaceable part or is it part of the wheel hub on a 2 X 4 model? In otherwords, to fix the tone ring what has to be replaced.

I would like to keep the ABS active just trying to keep a budget.

The tone ring is molded into the back of the rotors. It is also possible that the previous owner may have replaced the rotors with the wrong kind and the tone ring is not correct?

Your rotors may be "Warped" which is uneven thickness and need to be turned or replaced?

...Rich

I am planning on replacing the hubs over the Thanksgiving day weekend. I am also got a oil leak from the valve cover gaskets. Did the engineers at Ford bury those valve covers or what. On my two other cars, replacing the valve cover gaskets would take about 20 minutes. Replacing the ST is going to be a mission.

Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts