ABS light on?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul wise

Reaction score
So for the past few months, I have had intermittent ABS light on my dash.

I had cleaned and checked sensors previously, didn't make much difference.

About a month ago, I accidentally bumped my parking brake as I was getting in the truck. After starting it up, the ABS light was on again, didn't think much of it.

I reach down to release the parking brake, the ABS light goes off!

Driving around, if the light would come on, pulling the brake release would make it go out.

So for awhile, I've been wondering what the parking brake has to do with the ABS circuit.

Tonight I crawl up under the dash to investigate. Guess What I see?

The parking brake release mechanism runs right up to the firewall. There is a fair sized wiring harness in there, maybe 30-50 wires. Directly behind the brake release, between there and the firewall, a dark green wire has the insulation rubbed off! When the green wire touches the brake release (metal and ground) the ABS light comes on!

Check all the other wires, everything seems okay. Wrap the harness with a couple layers of electrical tape, NO MORE ABS LIGHT!!!

This is on an '03 XLT, your mileage may vary, etc...

This would be a good thing for those who actually need to use their parking brake. I don't think I've used the parking brake unless I'm working on the Trac.

Good find! Thanks for sharing. Someone else might have the same problem sometime. Maybe me! :D

Last edited by a moderator: