A-ROD / steroid use

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary s

Reaction score
oh i mean, A-ROID :eek:

lets see:

barry bonds, roger clemens, jason giambi, mark mcgwire, rafael palmeiro, now alex rodriguez !

oh i never did steroids :huh::huh:

my thoughts, toss any records and any hall of fame thoughts !! case closed.!!

and pete rose is a bad guy?

and i get blasted for having a passion for the nba :unsure:

Not surprised in the least. I think when it comes to Baseball, it's going to be the ones who have been caught/admitted using steroids, and the ones who haven't been caught yet. I think every one of them has used or are still using it. Any of them that say they haven't touched the stuff is lying. It's only a matter of time before Pujos gets nailed for it. It's amazing at how all the "experts" are jumping all over Canseco every time he puts out a new book. He's named every player you have listed and they all just bashed the hell out of him calling him a lier. Now what? He mentions A-Rod in his latest book, gets called a fraud, and now A-Rod admits to using? Hmmmmmm, something stinks.

Not sure what Baseball can do about the records. You have to admit that this "era" of baseball is tainted, but if everyone was doing it, and it wasn't considered "illegal" until recently, can you really hold them up? I am by no means saying what they did was right. Can you say that if Babe and Hank were playing now, would they have done what they did? the pitchers weren't using steroids then either. Also, the quality of pitching wasn't the same back then. Most teams were like what the Little League us today. One moment you would be playing the outfield, the next, throwing from the mound.:wacko:

The company I work at has pre-employment drug testing, post-accident drug testing, and random drug testing. If you test positive on any of these, without coming forward and admitting it (and asking for help) beforehand, you are fired...forever!

I feel the only way for major league baseball to get steroids out permanently is to adopt a similar policy. Anything else is just a band-aid approach that will not work.

Who really gives a crap if people like A-Rod get fired? There's thousands of talented steroid-free young ball players out there who are willing to take his place.

Does anybody really care? I personaly believe that if they want to use steroids and destroy their body thats OK. Just don't come back a few years later crying about cancer. We as sports fans demand that our atheletes are bigger, faster and stronger. We demand that they play hurt. Let them destroy themselves. Afterall they get paid an insane amount of money for just playing a game. Its a choice they all made just to give them an edge against their competior.

Our government needs to take the money that they are spending on congressional reviews concerning steriod use in baseball and put it to better use. Like an economic bailout.

My 2 cents worth.

Jerry

Wonder if Tom Hicks is thinking about suing him over it? After all, he took a BUNCH of money that could have been used to get and develop better players for the Rangers.

Jerry, I definitely see your point--but the problem is that many of the athletes DON'T want to use steroids and destroy their bodies. And they shouldn't be required to do that just to be able to compete with those who would choose to take the steroids. The only way to allow athletes to be competitive without destroying their bodies via steroids is to ban them.

However, I do have a problem with all the people who want steroids banned simply because they give the people taking them a competitive advantage. That's not a reason to ban anything. There are lots of things which can give one athlete an advantage over another--eating vegetables, staying hydrated, working out, practice, practice, practice, etc. But the fact that these can give a competitive advantage is not a reason to ban any of them. What makes steroids different than these is that any athlete who wants that same competitive advantage can do these same things without significant risk of harming their body by doing so. That's why I wish the media would stop calling them "performance-enhancing drugs", as if it's the fact that they're performance-enhancing that's the problem. There are thousands of legal drugs which enhance performance--but because there's no known harm to taking them, there's no reason to prohibit them. Instead, IMHO, the media would greatly increase the public understanding the issue by changing to a term such as "body-debilitating drugs". That's the real concern here.

Well, it seems no one is really clean these days. On the other side of the coin, we have Michael Phelps. We all know that marijuana isn't a performance-enhancing drug, yet the guy won 8 Gold medals in the Olympics. Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb weren't choir boys either.

In my opinion, none of it matters. It is just a game, and every one of them are paid too much money to play children's games. I prefer to watch College Basketball and Minor League Baseball. The NFL is still nice, but I prefer they focus on the game and not the "has been" football commentators. If there has to be a half-time show, give us ten minutes of the cheerleaders.

Nelson, do you actually think that steroid abuse doesn't happen in college basketball or minor league baseball?

Regarding the NFL--if you don't like the commentators, turn the sound off, or go see the game in-person. Problem solved.

I am not an A-rod apologist (Die-Hard Sox fan - wanted him here), but he is being treated like somebody who just mass murdered a dozen people (maybe they get better treatment). All that he did was taint his own name, reputation, and the game of baseball. For god sakes lets put this into perspective - its a game. IMO - Major League Baseball fostered this issue and turned a blind eye many years ago to hype the game. IF MLB wants to end this crap --- they should immediately release the name of the 100 players who came up dirty, put in a non-tolerance policy, and ban players for 2 years/wo pay & penalties if they come up dirty. Right now the price for being dirty is no more then a slap.

I'm also not an Arod apologist, but I do think it's important that we judge actions from past years by the standards that were in place at that time, rather than by current standards. If what a player did wasn't illegal or banned at the time, it's not right to find fault with him if that action became illegal or banned after those actions occurred. (I'm not sure where exactly Arod's situation falls in this regard--when he did the 'roids, were the specific ones he used illegal? If they weren't, we all need to get off his case.)

Note--This applies not just to baseball, but to anything where the standards have changed over time. For example, were colonial slave owners evil because they owned slaves? By today's standards--yes, of course. But by the moral code and legal code that existed at the time, not at all. And it is by that code--not the modern day one--that they should be judged.

Latest posts