A Question For Retired/Former Members of the Armed Forces

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
If you have to carry something in one hand when walking (briefcase, shopping bag, etc.), do you still instinctively/habitually carry said object in your left hand, leaving the right hand free to render a salute? I've been retired from the USN for three years, and find that I still do this without even thinking about it. What say the rest of you?

Old habits are indeed hard to break, I guess!:)

Been retired since 1996. It's 2009. Nope.

used to love those officers that would intentially walked across the street so they didn't have to salute you. I usually walked across to catch them...:lol::banana::cool:

TrainTrac,

Funny question!!! :D:D

I have been retired from the Army since 1983 and I have broken that habit, however I think it stuck with me for a few years. It was also hard to address the President and Vice President of the company I work for by their first names, instead of Sir.

Yes, all of that will fade in time.

...Rich

Yep, me too, bud. And I'd fire off a loud and hearty, "Good Afternoon, SIR!", so that they'd have no choice but to respond. Used to tick me off when I would salute an officer and they'd either ignore me, or just give a quick, half-a$$ed salute without even looking as they walked by.

But God forbid if I failed to salute them...:rolleyes:

How about falling into step with the person you are walking with? I do it all the time. Drove my spouse nuts, now do it with the GF. :) Been almost 28 years since boot camp, 16 since I pushed boots, and I still do it.

GP

Yeah, but you've got a legit excuse. You're still on active duty, Master Chief! You're just setting the standard/example for your Sailors.:D

It's after you retire that you'll have to break those habits.

Hell, when I go RVing with my family, I refer to our site setup/breakdown as my "Special Sea & Anchor Detail"! :lol: I mean, after all, I am connecting/disconnecting shore power, hotel services, etc.:p

I don't carry too much in my right hand due to using it to open doors, etc, but I do get in step with people....after 7 years retired.

I still use military time, date stuff 03SEP09, and can't get used to hair touching my ears or curling up in the back. I end up getting it cut on base still.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bo,

Funny you should mention that you walk in-step with other people. I did the same thing when I came home on leave after Basic Training....I always walked in-step with all my buddies, who actually got irritated when I did that. I never realized I was doing that until they complained about it !!

I finally broke myself of the habit and was able to walk without having to always be in-step with the person next to me, yet could stay in-step when marching, etc

...Rich

Latest posts