A new reason to hate the French

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to hate the French, then I grew up. Tiger is right on the money, they are no better nor worse than us. I have no reason to cast doubt on the fact that they passed the info on to us via whatever means was deemed acceptable at the time, i.e., CIA operative. It would be reasonable to believe we summarily disregarded same.

I was in Paris and Honfleur this past Fall, and had a wonderful time and made many new friends, as I have in the Phillippines, the UK, and the Netherlands. I made quite a connection with a young waitress in Paris as we discovered what a small world it really is (we both have friends/family in Northern VA, and we have a mutual disdain for G.W. Bush).

And for what it's worth, I am prior service and still serving in a more localized capacity. Counting that time, I've been in uniform now for 21yrs, albeit a few different colors...

I suspect anyone who claims to "hate the French", could just as easily insert any other descriptor in its place.. .

The French have held on to many of the values we held dear during the first 200 years of US History. Unfortunately, we have turned away from those ideals of freedom, liberty and equality, and replaced them with suspicion, greed and sometimes even hate. We no longer seem to be willing to wait for peace. We will make a war to enforce peace. This puts us on the opposite end of debates with the French, and because they oppose our aggressive stance on World issues, they are portrayed by us as cowards, when in fact, the rest of the World is seeing us as aggressive and the French as a quiet voice of reason.

b54e2f3d09bde6c0240a0ac5f04dd73b.jpg

This Statue was given to us by France on July 4th 1876 as a birthday present. They also fought with us against the British in the War of Independence. The US may not even exist if it weren't for the French. Yes, we repaid them during WWI and WWII, but that doesn't mean we don't owe them our freedom.

NelsonOKC. While your over there in Europe ask others what they think about the French. We had the honor of an exchange student from Austria stay with up a couple of years ago. Somehow it got brought up in a conversation about how Americans disliked the French, she was quick to add "Oh in Europe, EVERYONE hates the French". It's not about politics it's about arrogance and stupidity.

As someone from Holland what they think of the Germans. Ask thiose in the middle East what they think of Israel or the USA.

Nelson makes some interesting points. The USA has become more of a war monger that a peace maker.

Tom

arrogance and stupidity

Yeah, that's what most of the world says about the U.S. and our arrogant and stupid war-mongering policies of starting wars on our own, rather than building coalitions through negotiations and diplomacy.

I used to be on the other side of this belief, supporting our president 100%. However, he has gotten us into quite a mess, and he did not build support from our allies before declaring war, or for continuing a war long after the objective was completed.

Arrogance and stupidity pretty well sums it up.

My statement was as a result of a personal military issue. So I will stand behind my thoughts.

That said, Nelson and others have very good points. I am biased based on being shot due to an incident. Hard to forgot those kind of things...

I'd like to clarify something...

Although I posted this article because I thought people here might be seriously interested in it, my subject line wording was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I apologize to those of you who took it other ways.

Hey I never said the USA was liked or any better then the French. (Although least we didn't rollover during any world wars). In fact here's a map that shows the countries that like us in red and all the ones that don't in white.

[Broken External Image]:

TomT,

I don't think the map accurately depicts who we get allong with vs who actually hate or dispise us.

Most western European countries may not agree with us on everything, especially our role in Iraq, but we do get along with them very well. We also get along fairly well with many Asian countries like Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, etc, but again we have some differences.

...Rich