A cooler in the ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather inOC

Reaction score
This summer has been pretty brutal for someone who spends a lot of time outdoors playing, and I tend to be really susceptible to heat stroke, so I'm trying to figure out how to utilize a small cooler inside the ST. I've seen ones that hang on the back of a seat, but they look kinda cheap, so I figured I'd come here and see if anyone has come up with something. I need to be able to store water, Propel and (hopefully) popscicles so that I (and my buddies) can cool off after bike rides or climbing. Any ideas? I also need to be able to store it so that I can still seat 5 people.

Hey Heather!...I bought one of those small 12volt plug-in types that works fine for me on long trips. S/t's already have auxillary 12v outlets both in the cab & in the bed but I find keeping it in the cab (with A/C on!) it works better!...I even installed an extra 12v outlet behind the armrest console where the cup holders are to free up the front tap for my cell chrg'r, radar detct'r, etc.

The cooler I purchased is called Koolatron Traveler 9 quart 12 Volt cooler available on-line at www.compactappliance.com for about $70.00 but you can probably find one cheaper at local vendors.

Mike D.

Yup, I used a 12V Coolatron cooler in my box under the tonneau. If you put stuff in it that is already cold it keeps stuff cold really well. I drive all over the place for my work and need to keep soil samples cool. I leave it plugged in during all my driving and then throw the samples in a hotel room fridge when I get to me destination. During a six hour drive the items actually get colder then when I put them in the cooler initially.

A simpler method would be to get one of those new Super Insulated ice chests that will keep things ice-cold for 3-5 days. I have a large 60 quart unit made by Coleman and I have had it in my bed with the tonneau cover for over 24 hours and everything stays ice-cold and the ice/freeze packs are not melted.

If you don't have a tonneau cover, you could get a smaller one and put it on the folded rear seat while you were out bike riding, and move it to the bed when traveling. If you could tie it up close to the front of the bed, someone in the back seat could access the drinks through the back window...:D

Also, some of the new expandable bag-style coolers can easily fit under the back seat.

I have a 12 Vold electric cooler but it will only lower the temperature about 20 degrees below the ambient temperature. If your truck is sitting in the blazing sun all day, it will easily get to about 120+ degrees in there and the stuff in the cooler will only be about 100 degrees... Not very refreshing !! :wacko:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using a large 12 volt cooler for several years now and love it. Mine is large enough to hold 24 can drinks. As Richard said it will normally only be 20 degrees cooler than the surrounding air. You can not put ice in them because it would damage it. After my first trip using it, I started putting 2 bags of Blue Ice. The blue ice will bring the temperature down while traveling plus when sitting it will keep the temperature down for a little longer. Another thing you can do when your parked for a while, is to move the cooler inside the ST and plug it in there.

Latest posts