A/C not as cold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an '02 Sport Trac, My air conditioner is not as cold as it was several years ago. I could remember when I had to turn down the air because it was to cold, now I have to keep the blower at max for it to get decently cool.

Could it need recharging or maybe the condenser needs cleaning?

I'm afraid to take it to the dealer without first having any input.

Thanks

Eddie,

It could be either one, or both. You can clean out the evaporator core yourself and see if that helps, but I really suspect that you have a small refrigerant leak.

I'm sure you can get it repaired at a good AC shop cheaper than the Ford dealer would charge.

It does not sound like you have a bad leak, so you might want to try a quick recharge kit with a can of refrigerant R134, which cost less that $20 and that will probably last for the worst part of the AC season.

....Rich

Aloha Eddie,

My '02 did the same thing. I guess the salesman charged it before I test drove the car. Anyway, two wallmart cans of freon about 2 months apart and it has been cold for a year now. ('hope that I haven't jinxed it now) Try a charge. Just be careful.

Ed

Aloha Eddie,

My '02 did the same thing. I guess the salesman charged it before I test drove the car. Anyway, two wallmart cans of freon about 2 months apart and it has been cold for a year now. ('hope that I haven't jinxed it now) Try a charge. Just be careful.

Ed

Mine is the same way. Maybe I'll try one of the recharge kits from auto-zone or something. I turned mine on 2 days ago and thought that it wasn't quite as cold as it has been in the past.

DO not use the recharge kits at the parts stores, they contain oil that your system may not need, and probably the wrong type of oil, and usually contain a stop leak that does nothing but mess up orifice tubes and expansion valves. Get the system properly serviced..chances are it will save you money in the long run.

+1 on I1tech...

I do this for a living... more refrigerant is not always better.. Too much can send liquid to the compressor and really ball stuff up. Take it somewhere..

I do my own. I have the gauges and the experiance. I was taught by those in the bussines, that are certified. If I determine it is major.I will take it to a shop.

I dont do the heavy work any longer.

The knowledge keeps me from being, screwed....:banana:

Eddie,

I have a lot of respect for l1tech's opinion however I have to disagree slightly with him on this one. Normally I am 100% against just arbitrarily added refigerant to your system without first repairing the source of the leak.

However the economy is tough now, and your trac is about 10 years old, and I can understand anyone wanting to make things work just a little longer.

First off, most cans of refrigerant do not contail any compressor oil, some recharging kits do contain compressor oil. When your AC system leaks refrigerant, some of the compressor oil leaks out as well. It is more detrimental to blindly charge an AC system without replacing the minimum amount of compressor oil or you will severely damage the compressor.

Since you have a small, slow leak, and have the gages (hopefully they are for R134) you can use a kit that contains some compressor oil, even if it only takes about 1/2 a can since that is probably about the amount of compressor oil that was lost because of the leak. Usually leaks will be spotted by dirty, oily spots on the connections, or if the compressor is leaking, you will often see a dark oily streak on the hood insulation blanket (assuming you have a high mounted compressor) And most compressors are mounted high so that they do not become a collection reservoir for liquid refrigerant. (compressors comress gas, not liquids)

The main thing is to never turn the can upside down where you are dumping raw refrigerant fluid into the system. It also helps to set the can (right side up) in a small pot of warm water to make the refrigerant expand into a gas at a faster rate...but this is not really necessary, it just saves time.

Normally, compressor oil is constantly circulating throught the AC system and poses no hazard to the orfice tubes, etc. Too much compressor oil would be the least of your worries. I have never heard of an AC system failing because there was too much compressor oil in the system...That would require dumping too much compressor oil directly into the system before charging with refrigerant. However, if you do not put in enough compressor oil, you will often destroy the compressor. If your system has leaked out all the refrigerant, you don't know how much of the oil still remains in the system, so I would always recommend that you open the system, clean the system, replace the desicant. Add the proper amount of compressor oil and then evacutate the system before recharging.

With such a small leak (AC still cooling at a slightly reduced level) I don't think too much or too little compressor oil will be an issure in your case.

...Rich

FWIW, there are parts store recharge options that include a gauge to offer some guidance to a do-it yourself mechanic. Some products may include stop leak, but not all do. I've recharged my last 3 vehicles with parts store refills and it has done the trick needing just a seasonal top off.

If your refill doesn't last, seek professional help.

Too much oil can cause issues with the expansion valve or orifice tube. The more contaminants (non freon) in the system, the more likely major system failure. You should see the filters on an A/C recovery machines after a couple weeks, kind of makes oil filters look clean.

Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts