A/C Main Line Hose

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MH Ariola

Reaction score
Apparently my A/C has developed a leak and it's the main line. They're quoting a part price of $595.00 which seems excessive and that's without the labor!! Anybody have a similar issue with a '02? Is this the going rate or am I being bamboozled?

What "main line"? Need to be more specific.

At first glance (http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2002/FORD/Explorer%20Sport%20Trac/XL?siteid=318&vehicleid=49490&diagram=MH01060), there two lines - one at $67.77 and one at $163.49. So, at first glance, bamboozled.

Thanks for responding. I'm going to call Ramp Ford in Port Jeff and ask them to supply the part number and a more thorough explanation as I was originally told that there were 8 lines in the A/C but it was the 'main' line that was leaking.

They can put a dye in the AC system and with a black light can tell exactly where the leaks are. Often times the leak is a compressor seal, and that may be an easy fix...or it might be better to just replace the compressor.

The bulk of the price for the repair is going to be the labor since they have to evacuate the system, replenish the compressor oil and recharge the system with refrigerant, on top of repairing or replacing the part/s that caused the leak.

It's hard to have any AC repair done where the cost is less than $400...but my real concern is that they just said your "Main line" which is not very descriptive. The main line can consist o every component in the AC system since it is a recirculating system....Some are metal pipes, and some are high pressure hoses. it could even be an evaporator core, condenser core or the compressorwhich can get really expensive. Like Yardsale said, you need to be more specific..or it would be better to say, the repair shop should be more specific.

If they cannot pinpoint the exact location of the leak, then I would walk away and go to another shop that can.

...Rich

Thanks Rich, I called the dealer; the part #AL5Z19D850D is the Suction Discharge Line. The had put a dye in to determine where the leak was and when I brought it back that's when the service writer told me the part was $595. When I called today, it turns out the part is $235 with 3 hours (@$120 an hour) of labor for a total of $595.00. Can I get the part elsewhere for less? Thanks again.

Trapshooter,

You can probably get the part cheaper, but not through a dealer. The dealers will typically not install aftermarket parts or if they do, will not provide any warranty on their work, and blame any future issues on the non-Ford part?

I would go to an independent shop, or an AC specialty repair shop and get a quote. They may charge to diagnose the problem, but I think that may be offset by a lower price for the part and their labor.

I have never had a dealership make repairs on any of my vehicles unless it was under warranty...they charge too much for parts and labor, and often don't do a very good job since they simply tend to just throw parts at the problem (at your expense)

...Rich

While you may find a dealer that will install an aftermarket part, most will not for the reasons Rich notes.

You can get the OEM part and most dealers will install it. You're still looking at ~$360.00 for labor. As Rich notes, an A/C shop can do this for far less (probably $80.00/hr or less). There's no magic on A/C systems that require the "Blue Oval" (if they still tout that).

$163.49 from:

<a href="http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2002/FORD/Explorer%20Sport%20Trac/XL?siteid=318&vehicleid=49490?ion=HVAC&group=AIR%20CONDITIONER&subgroup=AIR%20CONDITIONER&component=DISCHARGE%20LINE" target="_blank">Fast Parts Network</a>

$151.81 from:

<a href="http://www.carmenitafordparts.com/oe-ford/al5z19d850d?search_str=AL5Z19D850D" target="_blank">Carmenita Ford Parts</a>

Last edited by a moderator:
Trapshooter,

I live in Texas, so I cannot recommend any particular shop in NY state. Check with your friends or neighbors on shops where they got their AC work done and were satisfied with the work and the price. Sometimes it is just an independent shop or a national chain like Midas, or NTBC etc. You cannot judge the quality of work just by the name. Some franchises are owned and operated by honest business men who want repeat business. Others prefer to rip people off, and only hope to make a fast buck off the suckers.

My preference is to go to a long established independent shop, and if they specialize in AC, all the better. Long established businesses stay in business by running an honest business, doing quality work at a reasonable price. When you find that business, continue to use their services and recommend them to your friends...They are getting harder to find now days.

...Rich

Latest posts