A/C Leak Detection - non Ford

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chops

Reaction score
I have / we have a Mitsubishi 3000GT that is starting to have a/c issues.

It started blowing warm air one day, the compressor would cycle on-off with the interior switch, so I knew it had 'some' refrigerant (R-134a) as not to trip the low gas switch.

Anyway I bought a can of 134a and hose/guage, the capacity was reading low so I went ahead and loaded the new can into the system. Nice/cold air afterwards. That was 3 weeks ago and now it's blowing warm air again.

The only lead I have is, there is an oil film on the high side connection going into the evaporator, it is a small aluminum 3/8" line that comes from the drier. There is no reason for this oil film to be on the connection, it is not near the engine really (no oil slung from engine), and I can tell the oil has maybe dripped down onto the larger low side rubber line coming out of the evaporator.

Question: Are there good/better kits out there to detect leaks?

Red dye vs the yellow-green combo that you use with a fluorescent bulb? How much?

Ebay has stuff from $20 to the electronic sniffers for $200.

One simple way is get a spray bottle,fill it a fourth of the way with liquid dish soap and fill the rest with water. Spray it on the freon line while it is cool. Watch it and see if it makes bubbles._Ron

Do you have access to a halogen detector? That would be your best bet.

Too bad you live so far away. I have one.

Tom

Latest posts