a.b.s. light coming on

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Byrd

Reaction score
several days ago my a.b.s. light came on--- when i turned the trac off and restarted-- light went off--- 3 days later, after driving on interstate for 45 min. the light came back on--- hasn't come back on since---- 01 trac 145k miles---- highway miles, serviced regularly--- any ideas before taking it to the shop??? thanks, Brad

Have a place like Autozone ( they check it for Free) check it and let us know what the coed is and we can further help you, rather than guess....

Todd Z

thanks guys-- will do--- only time the code will show is when the light is on , correct??? will get it checked asap --- thanks,Brad

Code is stored in the P.C.M. memory. Should be there even when the truck is

off/not running. You will not be able to see the "Service Engine Soon" light when the

truck is off, but the code should be stored in the memory of the computer until it is

cleared, (Battery disconnect, re-set throught the handheld reader device, etc...).

(P.C.M. = Powertrain Control Module) : The Computer responsible for Engine and

Transmission control on the vehicle.;)

The ABS system is, most likely, is not in the PCM.

It is on its own system and connecting it to the OBD-II port will prove fruitless.

Tom

Tom is correct in that the ABS info is not stored within the PCM, however, the ABS system does have it's own computer and works the same way as the PCM in that it will store a historical code. So Autozone or someplace like that, that has the proper reader will be able to plug in and pull the code..

again-- thanks for your help-- and quick responses. i am going to work today and will be home tuesday--- will stop by advance auto parts on my way home-- and let you guys know the outcome--- brad

Maybe I am going out on a limb here, but I am doubtful Advance or Autozone can pull the codes form the ABS unit.

I am not sure about new cars and trucks, but on the older models, the ABS light flashing was the actual code. It may have changed since then, so I am not sure.

Tom

Tom, my Snap-On scanner has the ability to do so as it is the same plug. The only difference is the module you put in the scanner. Like you, I am not sure of the capability of Autozone, but I would think they would invest on the needed tools to do so as it will make them money.

In my case, the scanner and most all you need was the better part of $4000.00. To get the ABS module and a few extra plugs was only $499.00 more...

My $30.00 Ebay POS scanner will read the ABS codes if the Light is on.....

SO will the Xcal and Even autozone....

IF the light is on, almost any scanner will read it...

Todd Z