98 Taurus SHO Starts, then shuts down

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erv Metoxen

Reaction score
I have a 98 Taurus SHO 3.4L V8. Just the other day I was driiving like normal, when all of sudden it just shut down. Power to all accessories but engine just quit, no spit no sputter.

Pulled to side of road. Would not start up. Waited about 15 minutes and it starts like nothing wrong. So I go about 2miles and it does the same thing. Repeated these steps to get home.

The funny thing is it didnt send any codes. Not Check Engine, or Service Engine Soon. My wifes car did the same thing a year ago and it was the Crank Position Sensor. So I buy a new sensor for the taurus and it still stalls. I did notice the Theft Dash Light flashed normally while Key was NOT in ignition, but after putting key in and turning to ACC. or Start, The light flashes very fast. Cam Position Sensor was replaced a couple years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Erv 01 ST

Once the vehicle is running the anti theft is designed so that if a fault occurs it will not shut the vehicle off.

Answer me this..when the vehicle will not start will the check engine light go out while you are cranking it?

Well, I am using original Pats key, But now it doesnt start at all. I did notice when it did shut down and try to start the fuel pump does not turn on. I hooked up a engine scanner and it displays "Communication Error"

Could the ECU have gone bad that fast?

Thanks

Ervbassin

Checked fuel pump relay, it is ok, I did notice the Check Engine Light and Service Engine Soon lights do not come on when turning key to accessory, or run position. Neither light comes on while cranking. Engine turns over normally but does not even try to start. Could the ECU have gone bad?

Any help is appreciated

Ervbassin

If you don't have a check engine light coming on when you turn the key on then the pcm isn't turning on for some reason. You need to get a wiring diagram and check all the power and grounds at the pcm before continuing.