98 Grand Am timing chain, tensioner HELP

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erv Metoxen

Reaction score
I bought a 98 grand am for my daughter, turning 16 in august.

When putting in a new timing chain and hydraulic tensioner,

Does the hydro tensioner need primed before reinstalling??????

After I installed, the chain makes a (almost like lifters tapping) noise. Only at Idle.

If RPM`s are at 1000 or above, the motor sounds like new. Revs up like normal.

Haven`t taken it on the street yet, Wanted some informative help first.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Erv 01 ST

Sorry , forgot to mention it is the 2.4 L , 125,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this an Iron Duke 2.5 liter 4-banger? Not sure the year they started using the 2.4's in those. If so, get used to it. These motors are noisy. 1960's block with 1980's fuel injection.

The 2.4L is a bastard engine. It is a nightmare to work on. My wife had a 1998 Grand Am GT.

It was not a quiet engine. Did that from day 1.

Tom

This is the quad 4 motor if I am not mistaken. There is a special procedure that needs to be followed to reset the timing chain tensioner or it will not function properly and cause the chain to rattle at startup. What you have to do is to remove the timing chain tensioner and then compress it until it locks into position, reinstall it in the motor, then you have to push the piston back in, when you do this the tensioner will POP out(it may take a little force to push the tensioner piston back in)then you should be good to go after that. The first time I did one of these it ate my lunch and I unded up pulling it apart 3-4 times before I finally figured it out. If you have the tensioner on the bench and follow the procedure you will see what I mean about the tensioner popping out. If you leave the tensioner the way it is it will prematurely wear the chain out.

Last edited by a moderator: