89 Caravan Cv axle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Medlin

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with 1989 Dodge Caravan drive axles. My Mothers van needs the drivers side cv axle replaced. Worn out bad. Is there any special tools required to remove and re-install a new cv axle. It's a 3.0L V6 auto. Never worked on a Mopar prod. or a front drive cv axle.

autozone.com has some vehicle specific online guides. Sometimes they can be alittle rough but it gives you an idea of what you are dealing with. It looks like for your moms car the cv halfshaft removal instructions are listed under manual transmission.

Remove the lower ball joint/control arm nut from the spindle. Use a pry bar to get the lower control arm separated from the strut.

Use an impact wrench/gun to remove the spindle nut, (nut holding axle in the center of the hub). You can do this by hand, but it is pretty tuff. There is sometimes some sort of cotter key or spring lock that is suppose to hold the nut in place from backing out, if you have one, remove it. 50/50 chance on if it is there or not.

Them pull out on the strut some, as in AWAY from the transmission. Using a heavy hammer tap the axle shaft in the direction of the tranny. It will normally break free and move pretty easy. Keep tapping until it slips easily out of the hub. Move the spindle one way or another to get it out of the way. Then using the pry bar, pry the inner part of the axle next to the tranny away from the tranny...

Install is in the reverse..

Thanks guys for the info. I appreciate it. Chase01 I looked at your library, and what a coindence of your Broken Arrow Sedona, I happen to live in Broken Arrow, Ok.

And Coastiejoe, I see from your library you are a fellow Veteran. As a fellow Vet. I thank you for your service. What branch & years did you serve. I was USAF 68-72. Also a DAV.

Again thank you for the info, AND my Mother thanks you too!:haveabeer:

Pudgedaddy,

I did 23-years in the Coast Guard.

That said, as you can tell from the picture, I did not do normal Coast Guard stuff. The only time I ever wore a blue uniform was for formal functions, advancements, and funerals...

I had a pretty unique time in service. Hit 22 different countries and got to play with high-speed combat boats for the most part...

Good luck with your axle and also thanks to a fellow Vet...

Pudgedaddy,

Coastiejoe is right on with his instructions for removing the axle. I had a 1986 Caravan, and I constantly had to replace the outter CV Boots, because they would tear or crack. That would let the packing grease leak out and eventually it would destroy the CV joint. That's probably what happed to your 1989 Caravan.

I tried Dodge OEM CV Boots and aftermarket brand CV Boots and they were all just as bad. I even tried the two piece boots that do not require you to remove the axle to install them. I've always been told that the two piece boots were worthless, but they lasted about as long as any of the one piece boots and they are a lot easier to install since you don't need to remove the axle....So there is a major labor savings and the two piece boots cost about the same, or just slightly higher than the one-piece.

...Rich

Richard thanks for the info. Yea the boot on the left side is torn all the way around, and hardly any grease left in it. I'm replacing the whole axle, looks easier and quicker.

THANKS all you guys for the info.:supercool:

Latest posts