6 speed downshift bump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Hey guys & gals, I'm having a minor problem with the infamous bump when tranny downshifts to low. It's not very bad, but I'm running out of time. Is this issue like all warranty issues and It has to occur while being test driven by the ford mechanic? I only have 21,000 on my 07, but the 36 months runs out this December.

Thanks for the imput.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
When mine was doing that, I just told 'em it was bumping, and they ran the latest TSB program on it without hassle. Going on 2 years now with no bump probs.

I have had the latest TSB program updates on mine also and no problems. The most recent TSB for this issue came out several months back. When you take it in tell them you are having issues with the transmission downshifting abruptly and they should take care of it. Be sure and do it before your warranty runs out. My base warranty is up in about 6 weeks so I know where you are coming from.

I had 2 different TSB's done, the second one cured it.

It still does a few things I wish it did better, but about any auto I have ever driven did something I didnt like.

All in all, the 6 speed works pretty good now.

I am at 31K miles.

I need to take mine in for that- I just hate dealing with dealers and the logistics of leaving it there, getting a ride, etc. I'm at 33K miles, is this still fixable for free after 36K miles??

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually take mine 1st thing in the morning and they are usually finished within an hour r so, I don't like leaving my vehicle either. After the 36K mile warranty period it's purely at their discretion to do it FREE or not. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance plus I don't plan on spending additional $$ on an extended warranty.

if you are past the 3yr/36k miles how much will it cost?

i have a warranty direct extended warranty. wonder it that covers it.

I just had my 2007 fixed (permanently, I hope) at Future Ford in Roseville, CA I have 44,000 miles on it and they knew exactly what to do and did it for free. Maybe the powertrain warranty covered it.

My 08 has bumped a couple of times (41k now), but not worth the hassle to get it fixed. By the way, I had a Mercedes C160 rental in the UK and it had some serious bumps when downshifting. And, it was a brand new car.

I have an 08 STA with the 6 speed and I've had no transmission issues at all. It shifts smooth both up and down. Once I figured out the shift points it's been pretty fun to drive.

I still find it a bit strange getting used to a 6 speed auto but all in all I'm pleased with the transmssion and the Trac in general.

Latest posts