5th Wheel Trailer - anyone have one w/ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S Dove

Reaction score
Would like to know if anyone has towed small 5th wheel trailer w/their ST?

I have a 2001 4 x 4 and would like to know.

I trust 5th wheel towing more than normal hitch.

Thanks in advance, Shadow

I'm sure that with a little engineering and a lot of effort, it could be done, but there are no 5th wheel setups for the ST, mailnly because of the plastic bed.... HTH

You might could do what we did at work for our 94 chevy, go underneath the bed and mount a plate between the frames and drill a hole in the bed for the ball to stick out. I don't know I will have to look under the ST today to see bout the frame._Ron

Rangers, and I assume Sport Tracs, are not rated or recommended by Ford for towing 5th wheel trailers. That said, the camper place near my office has some smaller ones and I don't see why not.

Since trailers are at a minimum of 7' wide, you would need a 4' minimum to the back of the cab to the hitch. Since the bed is only 4', it is not technically possible to do.

That is not a 5th wheel, that is a gooseneck trailer. A 5th wheel trailer uses a kingpin, much the same as a tractor trailer. A gooseneck trailer uses a ball in the bed to connect.

The picture on cardomain is NOT a 5th wheel trailer. It is a gooseneck trailer.

A 5th wheel trailer looks like those campers being told by big pick-ups that weigh over 15,000 lbs at times.

Tom

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

You've all answered all my questions.

Didn't even think about some of your answers before asking....helped a lot.

Will now check out the HiLo regular hitch trailor, as it collapses for easier hauling.

Again, this site is so great!!

Ciao, Shadow

Last edited by a moderator:
Will now check out the HiLo regular hitch trailor, as it collapses for easier hauling.

Honestly, skip out on the Hi-Lo. They weight too much and do not offer much room.

Check out the Trailmanor. It colapses like a Hi-Lo, but has beds on both ends with others that have a slide out living room. They are on the pricey side, but very well built and very light. Even the largest model is still light enough to tow with the Sport Trac.

I know of a dealer in Alabama that will skunk just about any price you can get anywhere else. The prices are so low, I could drive to pick it up and tow it back home and still be ahead of the game by 3 to 4 thousand dollars.

My favorite Layout is the 2619 and 2720. The 2720SL is nice too, but I like the extra bed the 2619 and 2720 provides.

if you are interested in the dealer I am talking about, I can let you know of them.

Tom

Thanks Caymen!

Would you believe that I found TRAILMANOR about the time you were replying. <g>

I'm in CA, and will go see one in person soon.

Very interesting concept, indeed. I noticed the huge difference in tongue weight, etc. right away, too.

I liked the ones you like, also.

Then, I found this site for SHORTBED SOLUTION / 5th wheel hitches: http://www.mrtruck.net/popup.htm

Not for the Sport Trac, but am passing it along for others, just in case.

Ciao, Shadow

I went on a tour of the factory in Lake City, TN. There is NO particle board in a Trailmanor. The build everything from the ground up.

I have been in Quality Control for almost 12 years. I know quality welding when I see it. I was able to watch them welding a frame right in front of me. They have an independant suspension on the trailer. They have a lifetime warranty on the torsion system used to lift and lower the top. I watched them make everything. I was able to talk to some engineers and I also was able to talk to some of the employees.

They spoke very positive about their employer. I am a stickler to supporting companies that treat their employees well. A happy employee will do a good job.

When we buy one, we will give our local dealer the chance to compete with the price from the dealer in Alabama. I do not need them to beat the price, but give me a fair price and you got my business. The dealer from Alabama has a satellite office in Nashville. The price he quoted me as a rough number was about 3 grand LESS than our local dealer was offering them to us for. The office in Nashville will also give us a camping spot at the KOA at Opry Mills for a week and no extra cost. Also, for as long as I own that coach, I get free propane refills at any of their dealers. They made a pretty good bargin and the salesman also said he will even beat the rough estimate price he gave us. All he asks is that we give him a chance to get our business. All I need to do is call him on the phone or send him an email.

Tom

Tom, thanks for your advice and comments about that dealer.

I saw some from dealership in CA today. Am still impressed.

Nice to hear that some dealers will 'horse trade', if you will. I'll sure try it. <g>

Ciao, Shadow

Doug! That looks great!

Your ST is so pretty, it looks like an '07. Is it?

This cinches it for me to seriously think about buying a TrailManor.

Ciao! Shadow

Latest posts