50k Maintenance Plan Need Imput

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayson Vagenas

Reaction score
so what does everyone think i should do?

as of right now i am

1. Changing Oil to RP (10W30) should i go with 5w30?

2. Rear End with RP. what weight? 75/140 or 85/140

3. Tranny not sure what to do?

4. Transfer Case. Need imput

5. pcv valve replace

6. fuel filter replace

7. spark plugs yes/no?

8. anything else plz let me know

:Dthanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford's major services go at 30,000 mile intervals, but if some things haven't been done...

Either oil is fine, if you live in a warm climate 10w-30 is fine although Ford calls for 5w-30.

Not much difference with the axle lubes, I think the manual calls for 75w-140.

Get a tranny flush by a dealer. The Motorcraft brand Mercon V ATF is the best.

Transfer case gets regular Mercon ATF. I just did a Member Project on that, if you buy a suction gun ($8) to fill it, it isn't very hard to do yourself.

PCV I wouldn't worry about.

Fuel filter I would change, yes. Without the right tool, it's a PITA.

Plugs are changed at 100k per the manual, but if you wait that long they might not come out. I'd change them.

Other stuff:

I'd do the front axle lube too. It is virtually impossible to change the lube without a suction machine, take it to a quicky-lube that does axles. 75w-90 synthetic. The place here charges $39.95 per axle, at that price it isn't worth the hassle of doing it myself.

Air filter if it's dirty.

Clean the Idle Air Control valve. Again, Member Project here and real easy to do.

Since you bought a suction gun to fill the transfer case (right? :lol:), use it to drain the power steering pump as much as you can and refill it with Mercon ATF or PS Fluid. Do it again a week later.

Flush the cooling system if it hasn't been done. Manual says to do it at 45k and every 30k after.