5.0 Swap is officially complete!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful work Dan. Amazing that EVERYTHING appears like the 5.0L 302 CID is made for the engine compartment.

You inspire many people, there are many tired high mileage 4.0L SOHC engines on this board. Stunning bro! :supercool:

Here's the "can't do" thread you speak of:

V8 swap would it be worth it over all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed! After reading through that thread, I noted a few things:

1) Don't try to swap out the entire engine bay body harness, just do the engine harness, then mod a few wires as necessary.

2) The brake booster doesn't need to be changed. Not sure why, but the Explorer booster has a sticker on the top that says "5.0", as if it's somehow different, but the ST booster is working just fine.

3) The transmission crossmember required zero modification. The only things that required physical modification were the driveshaft and cat-back exhaust. Everything else swapped over and bolted up like it was made for the ST.

It's exactly the same for maintenance as the original Explorer was. A little bit tighter than if it had the V6, but not too bad.

Dan,

Very, Very nice.:supercool:..I wish I was still into that type of work. Been years since. My disability and $$$ arent able nowdays.

I love the old 302 pushrods. They are so easy and cheap to get power adders. Excellent motors. I have built several of them. If they wernt', ford wouldnt have kept them around so long.

Then I degress. I have my 4.0 tuned and running to where I cant keep rear tires. They seem to slip on concrete with half throttle take off. It runs with most stock trucks with V8 small blocks. They do pull away at top end though.

The 302 would definitly run away or stay with them.

Anway excellent job. Looks factory, everything in its place..:supercool::driving:

BTW, the wheels arent for sale....LOL

Merry Christmas, Eddie

Thanks Eddie! The motor feels great in the truck as it is, but I can't wait to get it freshened up and put a little work into it. With the 4.10 gears it runs right at 2500 RPM at 75 MPH, which is a little higher than I'd prefer, but it feels really good around town and I'd hate to lose that.

As for the wheels, I do still miss them... :) Merry Christmas to you too!

Latest posts