5.0 Stand alone harness

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Cortez

Reaction score
Hello forum, I'm new to this forum(most ST dedicated). I'm planning on a 5.0 swap into my 03. Been doing a lot of research and so far I found a stand alone harness from late model resto dot com. I'm planning on using an AOD trans (my preference-durability). Honestly, just don't want to cut, splice or repin. Anyone have experience using the harness? Any thoughts, opinions or input appreciated.

Thanks

I would think you could use the harness for the '88 to '93, 5.0L stang with Early AOD trans. Not shure about the '89 but the only the '88 california stang had the MAF. Other '88 stangs were still speed density. The early AOD was not controled by the ECU or a TCM. I think the first was the '94 'stang with the AODE.

If you plan on the "stang HO 5.0L, you need that harness. The mom and pop FI 5.0L had a different firing order and harness .

We had one member many years ago do a 5.0L swap. His name was Don. You my do a search and see what he might have posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
One member?! Forgetting someone?! [points up to vehicle description] :grin: Without knowing your intentions for the truck, it's hard to give a good recommendation. If you want a daily driver and would like to make it all look fairly stock, then you should be using an Explorer 5.0/4R70W donor and wiring harness. If you're planning to go wild and custom, then use whatever you want.

The amount of wiring changes required to make the Explorer harness work is going to pale in comparison to the amount of work that you're going to have to do to get everything else in the truck working properly with a standalone harness. My build looks like it came from the factory that way, and everything works as it did with the 4.0, with the exception of PATS, but I chose to bypass that for a number of reasons and let my alarm/remote start system handle anti-theft duties.

Sorry Dan,

For some reason I had a brain Fart and forgot....My excuse is I turned 65......:bwahaha:

Latest posts