4x4 wont engage, new module not fix

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach harrison

Reaction score
I know this is a common topic, but I can't get this fixed.

2001 Ford Sporttrac 4x4

Upon starting, 4x4High and Low lights come on and go off like normal. When I switch to 4x4, nothing happens, no click from the module and no lights come on.

I've checked fuses, good. I ordered a new module and no change. Is there a way to test the signal from the module plugs to see if the switch and wiring is good?

Thank you!

switch it to 4x4 high and then reach under with a small hammer and lightly tap the 4x4 shift motor on the back of the transfer case, if it shifts into 4x4 after that, you need a shift motor. get a friend to watch the 4x4 indicator.

I actually just experienced a NEARLY identical problem on my 2002. I would engage the dash switch, the module in the passenger foot bay would fire (I COULD hear it), but no dice. Reached under and felt the motor was very hot to touch (Original motor). Replaced motor just Saturday and problem solved. Rockauto part with core return very cheap and install very easy, maybe 5 minutes.

If you cannot hear the click from the module, that is concerning to me, but physical inspection of the motor when attempting to shift could prove to confirm motor is the problem.

I have cleaned the shift motor plug but haven't done that test since I'm not hearing any click or noise from the module. I wouldn't think the shift motor would do anything if it's not getting the relay from the module?

Tried the tap test and didn't get a change. Going to test signals in the plugs, does anyone have a schematic for the wiring?

Yeah, its new. As for the selector, I can't say. I bought a new tester yesterday and will check the voltage on the selector, just need to see how to remove it from the panel first.

So...I'm having the same issue except that the dash lights never come on at all.

I've checked the fuses and they all look good. (Is it possible for them to be bad without "looking" bad?)

Any thoughts on what it might be? I don't really want to go out and buy a new module if it's likely something else.

Hey Jason, thats exactly why I bought a new tester as my old one wasn't accurate. You can test the fuses while they're still in the panel by hitting the little exposed metal squares on the top, if both sides register the fuse should be good. There is a fuse for those lights, but I think if it was bad you'd be without several of the dash lights, not just the 4x4.

Latest posts