4x4 HELP PLEASE

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff Muscat

Reaction score
2002 ST 4x4 with 4.0L engine. Bought last year with 218 thousand miles. 4wd didnt work. I got it home and unplugged the 4x4 control module located at the passenger side kick panel under the glove box. I plugged it back in and all seemed to be fixed. Winter came and it would work intermittently as long as the interior was given time to warm up. Would always come out of 4x4 but the trouble would be going into 4x4. I could hear the relay clicking and then stop, try again and so on until it engaged. Ok move on to this fall and I went to go pull the boat out of the water and it would not work at all, I could not even get the relay to click. Then out of no where it engaged one day when I tried it. Well that was the last time I got it to work and I am starting to panic with winter here. I went and bought a used 4x4 control module thinking that was the issue and I just got in from hooking it up and still no 4x4 engagement or relay clicking. I checked all fuses and even double check the plug on the transfer case motor.

This is where I need help at. What should I go and try next? is there a switch anywhere else to check or anything else I should be doing to trouble shoot? Please help and thanks in advance for your time.

bf02f16df4abee859a65ae6800a33ae1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Its probably the engagement motor on the transfer case. They run about $150. Replaced mine several years ago, problem solved.

Latest posts