4x4 Brake time

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon W

Reaction score
Hey all.

Question: On 4x4 models, are the 4x4 components independent of the brake components (rotors). If I can replace the rotor without the 4x4 stuff flying everywhere, my day will be easier. see below.

So it's been 80k miles, yes I said 80k, on my pads and rotors. needless to say it is time to change them. Last had everything replaced just after buying the truck w/ 57k miles, and 2 years later i am at 140k. So they had a good run I'd say. Last time I dropped it off with a friend of mine and he changed them. Tomorrow I am getting the help of another friend with all the tools, and we are gonna replace everything. I am pretty certain that I'll need rotors and pads, bc for the last 2 days, when i apply the brakes, they have the loud gritty warning sound (warning that you need brake work). Even when I am driving slow without appplying the brakes, I can hear what I assume is the rotor chaffing on the drivers side. So I am thinking it's a rotor and pad job. Not sure how the rear brakes are. Right now, it just sounds like an old spring being stretched out when I brake to a stop. Yeah, I know, not good.

By the way, it looks like Y'all are into cool mods for your sport tracs. Mine is all stock, except I built and installed a custom diamondplate tonneau cover last yearfor $200. after 16 months of no washing or care, it's faded some, but I plan to have it Line-X'ed for $100, which I am told will show every diamond contour. Should be pretty cool. Best thing is the cover is flush, and can hold whatever weight you put on it. I've stood three people on it at once with no sagging. I'll take a picture if anyone is interested. Looks good, is impossible to break into (without shreading the 3/8 aluminum), and only at a cost of 2-300 bucks.

Anyway, if anyone can answer the above question or provide any tips, it'd be much appreciated.

As for other issues I've had in my 90k miles.....

Just the 4x4 module never working right. I had the main module (motor?) replaced 2 years ago, but later determined the problem is in the dash switch. Now after tinkering with it I can get it to go into 4x4 high easily, but 4x4 low never works, nomatter what method i use.

Also, my power window control on the drivers side is screwed up. Everything works fine except the drivers side front window does not go up just by pushing the switch. However, if I push the switch down hard and squeeze the bottom of the switch box, it will go up. If anyone knows where I can buy a new unit cheap, that'd be AWESOME. I found one on ebay, but it was for a F250, and as it turns out, just cuz it looks the same, doesn't mean it is inside.

Thanks all

Brandon

The rotors on a 4x4 will come off without having to touch anything other than the caliper.

Actually I did a brake job project that you can read by clicking here:

would like to see the pics of the diamond plate tonneau.

WOW awesome description Thanks so much. Looks like we will be able to knock that out in no time today.

I will try to remember to take some pictures today of the tonneau. Please excuse the dirt, I have 140k miles and treat my truck like a truck.

Thanks again.

Brandon

Latest posts