410 Gears?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard Olsen

Reaction score
I just recently purchased 5 BFG 285/75/16Rs and now I have a question concerning gears and which regearing process is going to give me a better MPG. I heard 410 is the way to go but would I be ok with 373 gears? Which one is going to give me a better MPG ratio?

I am running 410 gears and I can get close to 20 mpg. You really have to pay attention driving! 373 would be better but I do a lot of pulling too.

If you do a lot of stop and go with those tires then 410 is the way to go otherwise you'll be fine with 373. I do a lot of both types of driving and I have 32's with 373.

My old '05 Trac had 3.73's and after I put bigger tires on it got worse mileage. Yes I factored in odometer error when calculating the mpg.

Modern OHC engines need a little more rpm to operate most efficiently.

Going to the bigger tires is going to offset your gear ratio. It will effect your odometer as pointed out by JohnnyO. It will also effect your performance as you have made your gear ratio higher by going to the larger tires, which means the trac will be a bit slower. If you were to upgrade to the 4.10's (I'm guessing you currently have 3.73's, the trac comes with one or the other) you would get back some performance and possibly lost mpg's. Mileage seems to be different with all of us and whatever difference it makes for you may not offset the cost of doing the job (installing the gears + parts) should you have to pay for it.

If it were me, I'd be looking towards the performance benefits and if mileage got better I would look at it as a bonus.

ok ive got a 2001 st with 4.10s in it, i found a 2001 explorer sport rear with 3.73 and disc brakes. I know u have to have the same ratio front and back but where do i take it to have the pcm reprogrammed for the 3.73 gears. The 3.73 rear has only 25,000 miles on it and mine has 200,000 and missing a few teeth out of the spiders, and plus i cant keep axles seals in it due to the fact that the hardened coating on the axles is wearing off where the bearings ride, any help would be awesome.

Latest posts