$4000 for paint job- fair?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
I'm considering changing the color of my ST to yellow. I plan on keeping it a long time and the work would be done by a local shop that has done nice work for me in the past. Any loss in resale value doesn't really concern me. The owner tells me that it will be hard to tell it was ever another color when he is done. Finding a 2003 that is factory yellow won't fly as I like newer. Is $4k a reasonable charge?

Is your's the fade-away painted blue ST in your library, are you just tired of that paint job and want something different? If you go yellow, I'd suggest a different color yellow than the factory color ( kinda dull IMO ). I'd go with a bit brighter yellow that stands out more and would look real good in the sun light. That is pretty cheap price, is he taking apart the truck to do it right or just leaving it together and painting. To do it the right way you need to partially diassemble the truck, We do custom paint jobs on our show vehicles and every time they come apart. Here's pics of mine.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

As you can tell every part of this truck was taking apart and painted even the engine bay, You have to take it apart to paint in there or you're gonna tell it was a different color. Just something to think about.

:driving::banana::haveabeer::grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
If that is jambs and firewall, that's dirt cheap, probably too cheap.

Are you talking yellow like the F150 or Smart car in your album?

I agree, 4 grand is a right price...

I paid 3500 to change my Grey Lexus to a black Lexus (RX model which is the smaller SUV).

The only yellow vehicles we have in Wisconsin are school buses, Servicemaster vans, and county dump trucks. Not even the taxis are yellow anymore. I did see a yellow ricer car with Louisiana plates passing through town a couple of years ago.

I would just buy an yellow 02 or 03 and spend the $4000 rebuilding the engine and trans and it would last a long time. I have a yellow and Im close to you but its not for sale. :grin:

I can't decide which yellow- I liked the factory zinc yellow on my ST more than my F150 blazing yellow, but Ferrari fly yellow is nice too.

I will post photos when/if its done....

Latest posts