"40 Year" Waves in Hawaii (Photos)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Peahi, Maui (Aka- "Jaws")

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, when I was living in Cali, and took up boogie boards, I so wanted to ride these! I was also 20ish, and drank heavily!:wacko::cool::wacko:

Glad I am a little wiser now!:eek:

But that has got to be a flipping rush, I can't even imagine what size or what it would be like to be in one of those green rooms! The velocity achieved, the feel of that spray, the utter noise of those monsters.....ok, maybe I still want to ride em!:banana:

Gavin- There are MANY like her. Will make an effort to send you some pics, when I get my camera back.

Wanted to go to the North Shore today. Traffic reports are saying total gridlock, moving about one mile, in an hour.

No thanks, I'll watch it on the news.

Steve, One of my best friends went in the Army after I did, '70s. He asked me for direction. I told him to get written garantee of his MOS and first duty station. He spent all 3yr inlistment, in Hawaii as a company clerk. Surfing on all of his off duty time.:cool:

Should I say other times tending his plants...:lol:

Anytime Bob. I'll even act as your "tour guide".

Make sure you bring the GPS, I still get lost. LOL

Gonna take at least six months to get the biz started, though.

In the meantime, lot's of Hawaii web sites you can check out.

Congrats, on being "Sport Trac of the Week". Maybe you should suggest a "one time only" prize, of an all expense paid vacation.

To Hawaii. ;) One week should be adequate. Don't just ask, beg! :lol:

Aloha, Steve

swshawaii,

I was in Kona (Waikolua) on the Big Island back in August and took a day trip over to Oahu to see Pearl Harbor, etc. I brough my TomTom GPS along and it worked great everywhere in Hawaii. I had a rental car on both islands and it always got us to our destination.

After seeing the Arizona Memorial and the Battleship Missouri, we drove over to Waikiki beach and the GPS directed me to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel (The big pink one) but we could not see where to get to the beach? We ask on of the Hotel doormen how to get to the beach and he was very nice. Told us where to park in the tower, and were to go throught the hotel grounds to get to the beach.

Later we drove to the Polynesian Cultural Center and the GPS was dead on all the way there and all the way back to the airport to catch our flight back to Kona. We had planned on going along the North Shore and see some of those big waves before heading back, but kind or ran out of time.

BTW, what's the name of that little island off the north east coast of Oahu that looks like a Hershey's chocolate kiss, sticking up out of the water.? It appears to only be a few miles off shore. I have lots of picutres of it because it was so unique. Looked like a little volcano cone.

...Rich

Rich- Known as "Chinaman's Hat" or Mokolii Island. Numerous pictures on line.

Interesting Hawaiian legend about a "human shark". See if you can find it with Google.

Truth is, it's surrounding waters, are breeding grounds for Hammerhead sharks.

P.S.- The big wave season on the North Shore usually occurs between November and February.

Chances are you would not have seen anything but an ocean "millpond" in August.

(Flat, with barely a ripple)

Robert- It's "Billabong", a large sportwear and apparel company that sponsors surfing events. I'll check out the movie, thanks.

swshawaii,

I looked around for some of the legends about that island, but only found that Pele's (godess of fire) sister killed a giant dragon and threw one of the dragon's tail spurs into the ocean and that the island is that spur from the dragon. I could not find legend about a human shark accept something about the son of the shark god? but that does not sound like either were humans? I did discover that the Island is only about 1/3 of a mile offshore, and when the tide is out, the water on the west side of the island is only about 4 feet deep, so you can easily walk, swim, or kayak to the island.

I think it is facinating that everthing about the Hawaiian Islands legends evolve around Pele and her sister/s ( I'm not clear how many sisters she had?) I know one of the Water Falls near Hilo ha a cave behind the falls and Pele kept her sister (godess of water) captive in the cave behind the falls... It apears to be some kind of rivalry since Pele is the godess of fire and her sister was the godess of water...so it's only natural that they would not get along. :D:D

What was odd after discussing the Chinamans Hat island with you yesterday, they had an epesode of Dog The Bounty Hunter on last night, and where did they have to go to catch their fugitive, at a house near the Chinamans Hat, and thats exactly what they called it instead of Mokolii Island. Unfortunately it was at night and they did not show the Island.

...Rich

Rich- Another interesting landmark, is near downtown Honolulu, about 15 minutes from the airport. Known as the Royal Mausoleum, or "Mauna Ala". All Hawaiian royalty is buried there, with the exception of Kamehameha I, and two others. Referred to as, Kamehameha the Great, his burial site is unknown, some say in one the many burial caves on the Big Island. Aloha Buddy!