4.6L Spark Plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
I can't believe a search didn't turn up something on this. Anyway, I am taking my 07 in today to have what I think is another exhaust manifold leak checked and was considering having the spark plugs changed as well. I am under the 60k miles powertrain warranty. Does anyone know if that matters if they break any of the old plugs off while trying to remove them? I know there is a well documented issue with these two-piece plugs and was also considering buying a set of Champion one-piece plugs instead of the OEM plugs. Opinions please....

Oh, I also need the latest TSB for spark plug removal and re-installation. I have a copy of TSB #08-7-6. Is that the latest? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks svt. Ok, I dropped the truck off at the dealership. While I was there I discussed the spark plug issue with one of their service advisors. He said they normally charge $300-400 for a spark plug change on V-8s with 3V heads. That does not include the cost of the plugs or boots which they also recommend be replaced when doing the plugs. I asked him about the Champion plugs. Naturally, he is not going to recommend them just because they are non-Ford parts. However, he did bring up a good point. If one of the Champion plugs gets stuck in the head the Ford removal tool that is used to get out the broken pieces of the Autolite plug will not work. I would think that if the Champions are installed with the proper anti-seize on the threads that should not be an issue. BTW, TT's link to the TSB did not work for me. Again, can someone confirm that #08-7-6 is the latest TSB on the spark plug issue?

I have 9 Champion plugs if you decide you go that direction.

I found that if you soak the threads the night before that removal of the factory plug was routine. I did coat the new plugs with anti-seize.

We decided to wait until our warranty was expired before we changed to the Champion plug. We provided the plugs and it cost $216 for Ford to swap them out. We havent had a bit of trouble and that was 20K ago. You shouldnt have any problem with the Champion and anti-seize and they shouldnt be breaking like the orginal issue of the Autolite plugs. However, we were advised that if Ford breaks the plugs during removal, you are still responsible for the cost of taking the head apart to retrieve pieces. However, it has almost been 3 years since the tool/directions have been released, so I hope all Ford shops know it by now.

$300-$400 for a plug change?!?!?!? Holy crap! Glad I do my own work... I should write up a bill, hand it to my wife and then take $400 for myself to buy the MGW Shifter for my Shelby.. g*d damn!

Steve, how much for the Champions? I can drive over to Summit Racing in less than fifteen minutes...:grin:

Warpd, I will probably do the plugs myself. However, you will have nearly half the cost of what the dealer is asking just in tools, lubricants, etc. if you want to do it properly and be prepared for any problems. That includes the price of the Lisle 65600 broken plug removal tool. From what I have read here and on other forums you would be crazy not to have that particular tool before starting this little project. The dealer's price might not look so bad when you consider what your time and frustration might be worth. If you break off one or more of the original plugs trying to remove them it might take several hours to change all eight plugs.

Eddie, I did see one website (LeftLane news, I think) that made a statement like that but I could not find anything to prove or disprove their statement. As far as I know the only one-piece plugs for the early 4.6L 3V are the Champion 7989, the Brisk Racing plug in two different heat ranges and the E3 DiamondFire E3.70. The Brisk Racing plugs are not supposed to be a high mileage design meaning they will not last anywhere near as long as other brands including the OEM plugs so I doubt they would be the best for a daily driver. Th E3s are not double platinum like the OEM plugs and the Champions. They have a copper core electrode and a nickel alloy tip and are at least as if not more expensive than the Champions.

As you can see there are several choices of one piece plugs as well as the Motorcraft/Autolite OEM style two-piece plugs. There are a few things to consider when making the choice. For me, I plan to keep my Trac for awhile longer, especially since Ford doesn't seem to be planning to offer anything of a similar size anytime soon. I am not too interested in putting the two-piece plugs back in knowing that I might be replacing them again and would have to face the same potential for a major headache/expense. Even if I go with the Champions and they do not last as long as the OEMs I know I can get them out without facing the worst case scenario of possibly having to pull a cylinder head.

Even if I go with the Champions and they do not last as long as the OEMs I know I can get them out without facing the worst case scenario of possibly having to pull a cylinder head.

I agree with you on that...:supercool:

I just changed out my plugs 3 days ago at 65k. I ended up w/3 broken plugs- all in the back. I found that O'Reilleys had the plug tool in stock for $98-ouch. But the tool was very easy to use, and anti seize went on the new plugs- which will come out in 50k miles.

I called Ford and asked for the revised,replacement plugs to replace the oem ones. What really irks me is that the Ford dealer is still selling 2 pc plugs- although they are now a different number. The Champion plugs do have a one-pc body, but you would be screwed if they seized, at least the 2-pc plugs break off where you can still extract them. And the Champions have a conventional open stype electrode and I have read that some Fords are finicky and dont like them.

If I could do it all over again I would definitely order the Lisle 65600 broken plug removal tool for $60 ahead of time... Some people have better luck with a warm engine- since I now have the tool I will try that next time (in 50K miles).

Latest posts