4.6 V8 troubles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
engine seems to sputter and kick when hitting 60kms/h while trying to accelerate,if I let off the throttle it seems to go back to normal but as soon as I try to speed up it starts again... anybody ever come across this issue...

thanks

truck has 125000 kms

When's last time fuel filter was changed? Your description sounds like fuel starvation. You're at 78K+ miles for us non-metric types.

Under normal service, spark plugs should be changed at 145,000 km (90k mi);

for severe service at 95,000 km (60k mi).

Severe service is listed in the maintenance manual as taxi, limo, police or other short trip/long idle time use.

Check engine light or trouble codes?

You have a misfire. If it hasn't set a code yet you only have one way of finding out which cylinder it is and that is to have someone with either a Ford scanner or a very good generic scanner plug into it and get the mode 6 data out of it that relates to cylinder misfires. Without it all you are going to do is throw money at parts and hope you get lucky.

I1tech is correct but I will say that I experienced very similar issues with my 2007 and my problem was the spark plugs. Unfortunately your 2007 probably has the two-piece Motorcraft plugs that have a tendency to separate when you try to remove them. Unless you have the proper tools and the patience to you use them I would recommend taking your truck to a shop to have the plugs changed. Assuming you first confirm that the plugs are the problem I would also recommend using the OEM brand plugs as replacements. There are lots of posts on this subject including one or two by me.:sad:

I am having the same problem with cyl 7 . replaced spark plug and coil still rough engine light.:banghead: I believe code is p007 could be a wire problem as well. Taking vehicle in maybe the computer ? Also compression test . 199,000 KLM Just making sure # 7 cylinder driver side 2nd cylinder from the front or 2nd from the back driver side ? sorry use to GM:haveabeer:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the similar problem. There were multiple causes...

1. Failing coils

2. Spark plugs not properly torqued down when installed by a mechanic.

3. Catalytic converter failed/plugged

Ethanol in the gas today mucks up the injectors too. About two years ago mine suddenly started running horrible and the CEL came on. Took it to the local garage, they poked around and dumped in a can of BG CF4 and a can BG Water Remover. Problem solved. Ever since I do that on all my vehicles once a year at inspection time and hit them with Chevron Techron FI cleaner at every oil change.

What is bg cf4? My st is doing the same thing. Changed 3 coils already and the o2 sensor. Cleared codes. So far no more cel but sometimes it still studders around 60 mph.

Latest posts