4.6 v8 seems sluggish . . .

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Heckler

Reaction score
I test drove the Adrrenalin with the v8 and compared to my '01 it was very sluggish. What mods have you done to improve the pedal response?

Your 01 is sluggish?

if you mean the 01...

you could get a modified throttle body? move to a synthetic oil for the higher miledge?

add CAI. newer plugs/wires? run some stuff to clean the fuel injectors with the next 3 tanks of gas? Change the fuel filter ???

i'm sure others can add to this list...

if you mean the V8 AD. modified throttle body... and other things...

Last edited by a moderator:
GM - my '01 flies. I have most if not all the mods for performance on it. It's the new v8 that seems very sluggish in comparison. I would like to know from the group what mods have they done to improve this?

I see... Andy Calhoune can answer that one I just talked to him in chat...since he owns one and perfomance is what he does.

I'm sure others will post soon. Have a nice day, ScoTt.

Tune step #1 !!!

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator

IMO the best thing for the V8 is the modded throttle body. As sson as I installed mine the hesitation was history....the improved gas mileage was icing on the cake:)

agree with lil red.

try the boys over at zabtek. i also have a cat-back magnaflow, but you will not see any huge gains, but as mentioned with the tb, the hesitation should disappear. after that i wouldn't do any additional mods as the trac was not the best to modify as cost does does not equal gain.

Everyone that has done it seems to agree. The zabtek thottle body and torries tune. Gets rid of the slug and helps mileage.

Iam really considering the STA. Along with exhaust, I wont hesitate to go with zabteck and torrie...;)

The 300 hp V8 seems awful sluggish to me also. I figure it is a combination of the following:

Gearing too tall (also cannot access 1st gear unless starting from a stop:angry:)

Throttle lag (drive-by-wire or not enough gas dumped by injectors upon quick throttle opening?)

ST weighs alot (especially with me in it).

Gavin - :lol::lol::lol:

Fast - I used Torrie for my '01 and was very happy. I also had the Zabtech TB for it too . . .

I am getting the STA - RED!!!! I pick it up tonight!

Bill it's not your mustang for sure . . . . .

My '01 with the 285's on it is a boat but with the mods I put on it I could at least feel the attempt at braking the slug barrier :lol::lol:

I agree with all Gavin says. It's faster than it feels but the throttle by wire kills the throttle feeling you get and the tranny shift point and response is sad. From a stop it sounds/runs pretty good but anything else feels stuggish. I know it's a big chunk of metal to move but i think the tranny is the biggest problem. I'm not gonna complain too much since the last TSB cured the really harsh down shift. Bearable to drive for a truck.

Gary G

Correct me if i am wrong, do not the 07/08s have the new CVT trannys?

If so they are slush boxs, do not think they can be programed to shift better if so.

bill, are you saying the 16.2 i ran is slow :lol:

bill is correct.

don't go to crazy with mods as it is not worth the money for the gain.

Latest posts