4.6 Spark Plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Cox

Reaction score
Presently have 52k on my gen 2 4.6. Was on vacation last week so I called my dealer about getting the problem plugs out. They told me that they would go 100k, which I knew, but that it would not be any easier to get them out now than to wait for the 100k. I waited this long so that they would have the proper tools and knowhow to do the job in case something did happen. Any comments?

Our dealership suggested 50-75K, (although they are rated for 100K) which we are just hitting 51K now. We will be having done shortly, as we also think they would be easier now than later with more buildup.

Look at the dealers response, you were willing to give him unsolicited work and he turned you down. What he should have said was: "listen, why don't we pull one plug and see how it looks, if it's bad , we'll replace them, if not maybe they can go another 20 or 30,000 miles". So, I would suggest just that, pull an easy one and see for yourself; and svt1848 is right, they will obviously come out easier now than after another 48,000 miles. This is just another reason dealerships don't get any of my business beyond warranty work, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Good luck, Mike...

Look at the dealers response, you were willing to give him unsolicited work and he turned you down. What he should have said was: "listen, why don't we pull one plug and see how it looks, if it's bad , we'll replace them, if not maybe they can go another 20 or 30,000 miles". So, I would suggest just that, pull an easy one and see for yourself; and svt1848 is right, they will obviously come out easier now than after another 48,000 miles. This is just another reason dealerships don't get any of my business beyond warranty work, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Hmmm, I disagree with that...... I personally respect the dealers response, and commend him for not taking advantage of the 'opportunity'. He gave his honest opinion on the matter and from that point it's up to the consumer to decide when he wants to have it done. By the time you go to the trouble to take your vehicle in and pay the labor to pull 1 of the plugs you might as well just have them all done.....just my opinion

As for me, when my truck hits 50K I'm having my plugs changed out.;)

By the time you go to the trouble to take your vehicle in and pay the labor to pull 1 of the plugs you might as well just have them all done ............... See, you do agree with me, my mechanic would never charge me labor to pull one plug. I would do it myself(only because I have some tools). Maybe it's because I worked at a dealership for 7 months and have seen alot of complacency. I guess I've become a little jaded...just my opinion.;) (I also don't know how to use the quote feature):D

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock 4.6 3valve plugs. Were 2 peice extention from the factory. They tend to seperate on removal. There is new design that is welded.

The factory ones can get complicted on removal. Do a search on dingo's research. he has pics of the problem. I would say get them changed.

Kind of like my dealer's refusal to change the ATF or flush the transmission in my '07. Must be something fragile about our tracs that the dealers don't want to service them.

The biggest reason I wanted to do it is because of the spark plug breakage problem. I figured it may be easier to remove the plugs early, but according to the service manager, there is no difference after you have put over 10k on the plugs.

of course, if they break upon removal, then YOU PAY for them to take the heads apart to retrieve broken plugs! no thanks, will have our done soon to avoid extra buildup. we just figure better safe than sorry~

Sondra

I have 107,000 miles on a 07 4.6l limited. By 30,000 the plugs were already stuck. Also it would be rare to have to pull the heads anymore. Lisle made a new tool for removal. Check out amazon, LISLE 65600 5.4L Broken Plug Remover. I followed the Ford TSB to the letter for two plugs. Both broke. I used this tool for removal of all eight. Takes maybe 10 minutes extra per plug. Do not take out a plug to check it without being prepared to fix a broken plug.

Latest posts