3rd brake light out

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title says, my 3rd brake light is out on my 03. I was just wondering before I break out the screwdriver and tinker with it, is there a sure fire easy way to fix it? such as just buying new bulbs or am i better off getting a whole new led 3rd brake light or do those just look cheesy? and does anyone have a picture of a white trac with the clear led one?

The more I think about it the more I think the clear led would look better since I already have clear corners and I have a white trac.

If you are only now changing the third brake light bulb, either it's been out for 5 years or it lasted far, far longer than any of mine ever did. I've changed that stupid bulb every 6-12 months ever since I got the Trac. Most of the rest of the bulbs on my Trac are the original bulbs from the factory, including the regular taillight bulbs. The last bulb was apparently too big and melted the reflector and the harness! So I cut up the reflector on the third light assembly and grafted in an LED light bar I had lying around. So far it's still just fine. If it ever goes out I'm replacing it with an actual LED third brake light.

It's not hard to fix. Takes about 2 minutes to change the bulb. Takes a minute or two longer to replace the whole thing. Takes an hour or two to cut it to fit an LED bar that was never made for it!

The bulbs never last. It's like Ford chose to use lightweight dome light bulbs in an exterior light. I got tired of replacing bulbs and bought a Recon LED brake/bed light unit. That was five years ago and I've never had to touch the 3rd brake light since.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts