30,000K checkup-does this price sound too high at the dealer?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was $5.. :lol:..haha actually I have the price guide around here somewhere.. I think that sounds close to what mine was but not sure.

I got a full service oil change at my local shop for $33.66 w/tax.

It included:

Oil & filter change

Tire pressure set to 40 psi

Check levels in Transmission, Differential, brakes,& p/s steering

Belts & hoses inspected

Coolant level

Washer fluid topped off

Battery inspected

Brake pads inspected- front 70%, rear 90%

Tires rotated

Done in one hour.

I purchased the fuel filter from the dealer ($32.00) which I changed myself.

I cleaned and re-oiled the air filter($8.00 oil)

30,000 mile check -DONE

Total $70.33

Shop around for good deal, use the dealer last.

Lauren,

While that price is not out of line for a Ford dealership, The price is way out of line for what independent shops would have done it for.

You could have gotten everything done including a transmission fluid change or flush for under $200. And if you shopped around a little, you probably could have cut it to $150.

As TracketPaul indicated. Most quicky lubes shops will include those shecks during a full service oil change. The other stuff can be negotiated with other shops. Like getting your tires rotated and have them check the brake pad thickness while they have the tires off and they won't even charge you for the brake check.

I purchsed road hazard insurance on my tires at a GoodYear store and I get lifetime free rotations and balancing as well as free flat repairs. So everytime they rotate the tires, I have them check the brake pads for wear, and they do it for free.

...Rich

Rich-

I haven't gone yet. I am leaving for vacation next week and I knew I had to get the checkup done, and I just got a "note" from the dealer. It floored me. The price sounded VERY high to me-that is why I asked. What they list in the "note" for what needs to be taken care of does not sound to me like it should cost that much. Unfortunately, I really and honestly do not have the time to shop around and my old mechanic sold out (really bummed about that). The new people seem ok...but I don't know them. One of the mechanics who worked for my previous guy is still there. They may be my only resort. I still need the oil change next week. If the dealer brings up the 30K-I will tell him to give me a better price. I also do not want jeopardize my warranty.

Thanks,

Lauren

In Lauren's defense, she is a lady. <B>Most</B> ladies do not know much about what goes on under the hood of a vehicle, and <B>really don't care</B>. As long as it starts up, they are happy. Note the key words I used. I made them <B>BOLD</B> so nobody reads them wrong.

Honestly, Lauren. Check-ups are a waste of money. If you have any male friends, have them check everything out. If you lived near me, I would be more then willing to check everything out for you and replace anything that needs to be replaced. It is not a big deal.

Tom

Davy...though I know where the oil, windshiled washer fluid and other things go...I am not capable of that...not all of us ladies are :) You are welcome to come over and take care of it...

thanks Tom! I never worried w/ the Mazda I had-lasted me 9 years...just took care of the basics. Oil changes...whatever my mechanic said it needed...this was an investment for me-I worry...thanks!

Or go to the dealer with a list of exactly what is required and tell them that's all you want done. Oil change, tire rotation, air filter, fuel filter, and tranny flush is all that's required. The oil and tires you could get done for less elsewhere, the air filter you can do yourself. That leaves the fuel filter and tranny flush for the dealer. If you have a Qwicky-Lube do the transmission, make sure they know to use Mercon V fluid. Here tranny flushes are about the same price wherever you go, the dealer isn't any more or less than anybody else.

Go to the dealer or call and ask for the manager. Tell him you asked for a 30,000 service and was given a price that was to high. Give them a list of what needs done (it is in your manual) and ask them how much. Worked for my 15,000, paid less then $40.

If you have any male friends

You had to know that I'd get 'cha on that Tom....

Hey Lauren, drive on over to Illinois and this FEmale friend will check it over for yah. :) (And I'll even make yah one of my fancy iced coffee drinks to sip on while I wrench on your ST - what MALE would do that for yah? snicker...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Michelle,

I live between you and Lauren. I already offered to do it for here...I beat you to it. Ha Ha (in my best Nelson from the Simpson's voice)

Tom

Here we go again...

I am going to quote something I said above..

<B>Most</B> ladies do not know much about what goes on under the hood of a vehicle, and <B>really don't care</B>. As long as it starts up, they are happy. Note the key words I used. I made them <B>BOLD</B> so nobody reads them wrong.

If it is taken as being sexist, so be it.

Tom

Lets not judge people based on whether they do their own vehicle maintenance or not. Many people, both males and females choose not to do their own auto mainenance. Everyone has their own reasons, and it does not have to relate to whether they are mechanically inclined or afraid to get their hands dirty.

Not everyone does their own plumbing, home building, electical work, acts as their own lawyer, or do their own surgery on themselves or members of their family. Most lawyers will hire another lawyer to represent them in legal matters, and doctors rarely treat themselves or family members and it has nothing to do with a lack of knowledge.

For well over forty years I haved done all the maintenance and repair work on all my vehicles, but as I have gotten older I find that it's far less time and trouble for me to just have a shop change the oil. I have the tools and equipment to do virtually any repair on my vehicles but I am more selective as to what I choose to do based on what the shops charge vs how much it would cost and the amount of time it would take me to do the same job.

...Rich

I laugh everytime I get one of those 'reminders' from my dealer that I need to bring it in for a "check-up". The only time I ever take a vehicle to the dealer is for a warranty-related repair.

I took my '97 Explorer to the dealer I purchased it from for new control arms that were covered by the extended warranty I bought at the time of purchase of the SUV. I wouldn't dream of taking the Explorer back to them for any routine maintenance at all.

Check-up's are genuine rip-offs, nothing more.

Darin,

You hit the nail on the head. That is the exact reason I do not recomend check-ups. Nothing but a genuine rip-off.

Tom