3.5 hours at the dealer today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Caffyn

Reaction score
Well, I had scheduled an appointment for this afternoon(1pm) to have the third headlight switch installed(the icons keep going out). Started up the truck and it barely ran! Running on 6 or 7 cylinders, limped down the Parkway to Manahawkin(Causeway Ford). After the diagnostics, the #4 cylinder coil was shot. Replaced with a stock unit and spark plug took almost 3 hours. The headlight switch only took about 45mins.

Now the coil is no big deal, its a Grannetelli high output(45,000 volts), I'll call Jegs and order a replacement. But this is the 3rd switch in 2 years. Has anybody else had troubles with these switches? The Mustang is also on its 3rd one! Thank God that Carey had sold me the ESP(6yrs/100K miles) only had to pay the deductable for this. Just have to vent a little. Bob

The little bulb that back-lights the switch is on all the time the car is running (not just at night) , so they burn out quickly. I bought 2 bulbs for a couple bucks at Radio Shack and change it myself in less than 10min. The Radio Shack bulb is smaller & hopefully will run cooler and not burn out as fast. Another bad Ford design to go with the spark plugs, 6spd adaptive auto, and dreadful remote start kits they sell...

TT, I'm not so sure of that. Because at night, when I start the truck, its not illuminated until I turn the switch. I mean, I could be wrong but thats what happens. As far as this bulb replacement, what is the part#/type of bulb? How do I replace it next time? Take apart that part of the dash to get to the switch? Please enlighten me. Bob

You might have another problem other than a burnt bulb, but the bulb is easy to change out. The light sw. assy below the vent pops out of the dash (pry the bottom out w/thin,wide scraper). The bulb socket twists out and reveals a little bulb on a long holder(looks like a candlestick). The bulb you need is a 12v DC bulb with 2 long , 1.25" leads. The bulb you need is #7219 or 272-1092(Radio Shack's #). A two-pac is $3. The leads go down thru the holder & wound around, same as the stock bulb- these make the connection. Will make more sense when you are looking at it.

I have had at least eight of those headlight switches replaced free under warranty in my Ranger, Mazda Pickups, and Sport Tracs over the years. The dealers always replace the entire switch assembly- they say the bulb is not a servicable part.

One servce manager told me he understands why I want the bulb to work, but he said that most people never pay attention, and they see burned out bulbs all the time on other vehicles.

Ford probably never fixed this bug because most folks never noticed that their icons were not lit up any more. However, as long as I have a warranty, I will keep getting them replaced. Not a better idea from Ford.